Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How big is your waste tank?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

How big is your waste tank?

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2019, 5:11 pm

And do you ever wish it was larger, or would you still pump it out frequently anyways, even if it was larger??

I currently have two 40 gallon waste tanks. They both need to be replaced, along with all the hoses (ching ching $$). I had a brainstorm today and was thinking about just using one tank and plumbing both heads into the same tank. If I do this I only have to buy one tank and I could even buy it a bit larger than the original, so I could go up to 50 or 55 if necessary. It would also eliminate one whole (LONG) section of waste hose (from the rear tank to the pump out). I'd only have to cut one extra hole though a bulkhead to connect the aft head to the fwd tank and that hose run would be about the same length as the original that went to the aft tank, so overall that length would be a 'wash' over stock.

Is 40 gallons too small for two heads? We don't use them much and have never filled them even when they were working.

EDIT: Here's a graphic of what I'm talking about. (Ignore that little kink in the pumpout line from the fwd tank)
carver_waste_tank_idea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by km1125 on July 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: How big is your waste tank?

Postby bud37 » July 17th, 2019, 5:29 pm

You could put in two 30gl.....heh, consider replumbing with white pvc where you can, no more odor, cheaper works great, dometic has adaptor fittings and some nice sweep elbows.......I redid our last boat with it.

One thing , there is nothing better than some redundancy...one breaks you still got one. We have one 30gl and it takes a while to fill it.....1 to 2 litres/ flush for 113L tank = lots o flushes.... :-D

Just another point of view to consider.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2019, 5:41 pm

If I did still do two, then I probably would go a little smaller for the fwd tank, as I can use some of that space for an inverter or other storage. We use that fwd head a lot less than the aft head anyways. But even two smaller tanks is still more $$ than one larger tank (along with hoses). From a reliability standpoint I'd be more concerned about the heads than the tank.

Don't know how I'd do PVC... are you talking about regular "non-bendable" PVC or something different? I'm not sure there's enough of a stretch anywhere that's straight enough, except in the pump-out line starting near the aft head and going about 6' forward towards the pumpout.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 17th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Regular household pvc . I have 2 40 gallon tanks in my 405 I replaced long run in engine room with pvc and then where I needed then a good quality waste hose where the flexibility is needed.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 17th, 2019, 7:19 pm

02-30 gal waste tanks in ours and hope as long as we have her I never have to deal with any replacements in this area! Famous last words! Would stick with the duals, always have a back up if needed.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 17th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Wish I had dual 40's, only dual 25's in mine. A total of 50 is more than enough for our needs. Sure helps that are marina charges only $80 for a seasonal $hit pass. :-D Could pump out every day if I wanted. :evil:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm

My 1998 355 has two 18 gallon tanks. When its just the wife and I we are good for at least two weekends or about 6-8 days. When have kids and grandkids on board it would be nice to have some extra capacity, but I do believe I would pump out at least every two weeks needed or not. I just don't like that dark stuff in the boat.
I do like having two tanks with monitors when others are on board. You never know when someone will use 10x water than needed and fills a tank. You can then close that head and use the other until you get to a pumpout.

Mike, how did you fit a 30 gallon for the aft head? I could do it for the forward, but no room aft.

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 18th, 2019, 3:57 am

My 390 CPMY has 2 20's. Only wife and I so we use one for #1 and the other for the "real deal". We have gotten 4 days on the hook before and not filled either. Vacu Flush also helps in conservation of resources.

United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Postby rjr » July 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

We have two 40 gallon tanks in our 440. We pump on a 2 week cycle now. Used to be 3. Wondering if anybody has installed a charcoal filter during upgrades?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Mine came factory with charcoal filters. They really did a good job on this as the key to controlling doors is good air exchange. The vent lines on both tanks are 1 1/2" :-O All previous boats IO had were only 5/8".
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”