Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

dual elect. horns 1987 32 aft cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
drmax
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 32

dual elect. horns 1987 32 aft cabin

Postby drmax » August 12th, 2019, 5:26 am

Going through some other items on friends boat and horns just make a thump sound when pressing button. I have not torn into them yet, but what typically is the issue's with these? I'll assume the diaphragm's are messed up. But seems odd to the fact they both are doing the same. Hand on the rear of horns and can feel they are both thumping. Could even be full of bug nests for all I know. I'll do a quick check for 12 volts making to the units, then next I'll looks down the tubes for mud dobber nests. Anyways...if someone else has had similar issues, I'm listening. Thx for any others advice...DM

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: dual elect. horns 1987 32 aft cabin

Postby km1125 » August 12th, 2019, 9:15 am

Could be poor connections at any point. If you measure voltage, then make sure there's a load on the end, preferrably leaving the horns hooked up when you do it. The switch contact might be just slightly corroded and so could any of the push-on crimp connectors.

The contacts in the horns will get corroded if you DON'T use them enough. For this issue, you can take another 12V battery and run it in SERIES with the boat so you're feeding the horn with 24v temporarily. Blast the horn a few times, then put it back on the 12V boat feed and try it.

I have a couple little squares of soundown foam acoustic insulation. I bungie them over the horn ends and blast the horn a couple times if I haven't used them in a while. Whenever I'm out on the water and there's no boats around, I'll sound the horn a few times, or let the kids do it to also entertain them. Exercising them works just like your muscles.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 12th, 2019, 9:29 am

Can be electrical issue, debris in the throat, or a dirty or torn diaphragm in the horn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 12th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Just curious here, I seem to remember there were adjustment screws on some that when turned would alter the tone and by working the screw back and forth it would free them up to work again.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 12th, 2019, 1:42 pm

On many of them there are adjustment screws. You have to take the back cover off, which is held on with one screw in the center (possibly under a sticker). Once, I tried to do this but after taking the screw out I could not get the cover off. Hours later, I heard a "ding, ding ding, SPLASH" and the cover had popped off and fell into the drink. About 4 years later, I had a diver friend go into the slip to find a canvas that had blown off the boat, and he also found the cover.

The higher the tension on the screw, the higher the pitch but it also required more current to overcome the spring. You can back the screw out, use the horn a few times, then re-adjust the screw for the right tone. I find it easier to try the 24V method first, which works pretty good.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 13th, 2019, 10:03 am

Had a similar issue. Horns sounded like a wounded duck, and low volume. Pipe cleaner removed some spider web, sprayed a little cleaner straight up the horn, and BINGO! They sound loud and 2 tone pitch, just like new. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”