Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 Mariner engine deck plates

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Re: 350 Mariner engine deck plates

Postby 650Guy » August 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am

In an Ongoing fun survey experience, My carver (which was given a really good survey a few years ago, like "Almost Bristol" now it seems to have "Elevated moisture" in the stringers, Engine Hatches? The boat has been indoor heated storage since I've owned it. My last surveyor I trusted completely as he had saved me from a couple troublesome ships, but has since retired. I had to try this new guy, and am struggling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 2001 mariner with a S/N beyond "6" in the HID does NOT have wood below the water line including the stringers? Between the back deck plates and stringers it has me wondering if ANYTHING this guy has in the report is accurate??

Am I crazy? can I have "Wet Stringers"??

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am

Let me guess here, the engine bed stringers......call Carver and flat out ask them what is in those stringers and the strut supports. I believe you are correct about the woodless stringers.

I have the same boat, same year. What do you mean s/n beyond 6 ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 22nd, 2019, 9:45 am

Hello all! Best thing to do is call Carver, with your hull # in hand, and ask them about that construction technique. They have the actual construction log for your hull, in their library. Second, I believe that starting in 2000, the stringers were either solid, or the core was something other than wood. Prior to that, 1991 to 1999, they were marine grade plywood, injected ( more like soaked ) with resin. You will get elevated moisture readings with infrared moisture meters in both applications. Fiberglass is soluble, it does have water in it. The best way to determine if that elevated reading is causing any stress, is to inspect the base of the stringers for any signs of flex. You will see spider cracks or chipping if there is any stress. That is why Carver painted the inside of the hull with grey paint. My '95 also had a high moisture reading in the stringers. A friend of mine had the same thing. He decided to cut the top of the stringer so he could dig out the core and fill with resin. After two hours of trying to dig out the plywood, he aborted the mission. It was so hard, because of the resin, that he could not get any core removed. He really knows his stuff with the fiberglass, resin, hardeners, etc. Only way to really check for water intrusion, is to drill holes and see if any water seeps out, or analyze the drilled out core. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2019, 9:50 am

Heh Cooler, I agree with you...... is there anyone in particular there or just their 800 number.?? Be nice to put this to bed once and for all.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2019, 12:13 pm

A little up date......just spoke with Brian at Carver who checked my hull # and the result is no wood....mine is cored with some form of grey colored 3/4" fibre board made by Alcan composites.......there now you have," the rest of the story ", as it's said..... :-D

These were apparently made this way for years after about 2000

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”