Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bow thrusters

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Stevie B
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Bow thrusters

Postby Stevie B » August 16th, 2019, 9:57 am

Good morning,

Is it difficult to get to and repair bow thruster? looking to purchase 2003 Carver 366 aft cabin. has anyone had issues with these?

Steve.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Bow thrusters

Postby buster53 » August 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm

While i’ve never had a boat with thrusters, I can’t recall any occasion when I felt like I needed one.
I’ve had 3 larger twin engine boats, 35,37 and 38 and never felt the need

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 16th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Every application is different and even in the same model/year as an install may have been done as an option from factory or an aftermarket install by a previous owner. As such, while they'll typically be in the same general area, the location will differ slightly. Access could be as simple as lifting a floor hatch or gaining acess to a space under the berth by dismantling a drawer, floor, etc.

How difficult it is to repair really depends on the unit. I wouldn't say they're difficult to repair but can be a pain to access sometimes. Some brands are easier to get parts for than others, especially if it's the Volvo QL brand as parts for those have been discontinued for some time and are now mostly unavailable or very difficult to source.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 19th, 2019, 8:36 am

I have a 36 Mariner which came with an aftermarket thruster. The unit is 'buried' under the forward bunk. Access is obtained by taking out all of the drawers under the bed and lifting a round access plate. I don't know what it would be like to work on it but I know it would be a pain. It is likely that the bed cabinet must be removed.
Regarding the 'need' for a thruster, I do believe that fact is dependent on your situation. This is my first boat with a thruster but she is also my first boat with a 'high windage' profile. At my home port the thrusters have proved invaluable, especially when the ebb current is ripping and the afternoon southwesterly's are blowing!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”