Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Funky rode locker

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Funky rode locker

Postby vineyardgray » August 30th, 2019, 8:03 pm

There's a rank stank emanating from this here rode locker. This wouldn't be so bad except it is in my sleeping quarters and thus the emitted funk wafts over me as I doze.

How can I fight this olfactory offender?

Bleach? Borax? UV light?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Funky rode locker

Postby tomschauer » August 30th, 2019, 8:10 pm

At the end of every season I coil my rode in a bucket on deck, rinse and drain several times then add a cup of downy and top off with water, let soak over night. The line stays soft and pliable with a nice fresh scent!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Pretty sure you don't want to use bleach as I think it will over time, break down the fibers of your rode.

Tomschauer has a good suggestion, but in the mean time, just rinse off your rode with fresh water if you don't have the time to do a deep cleaning.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Do you have chain or rope ??...have a look in there to make sure the drain for the locker is clear and the locker is dry........if you have chain clean the locker and chain....a good practice is to rinse off the rode or chain with a raw water wash down hose as it is coming up and before the goo gets in the locker.

I have found if it's put away reasonably clean it doesn't get rank in there.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » August 31st, 2019, 9:32 am

THank's guys - I have a rope, not a chain.

I've never done this before; assume in order to get it onto the dock for a bath I just get a hold of the anchor and pay out the windless until it's all out? In a bucket?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 31st, 2019, 11:45 am

I keep the anchor pinned in place have some one "drop anchor" on the windless while I pull the chain and gently lay on deck.
When yo get the rope, start coiling into a bucket.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 1st, 2019, 7:30 am

Certainly clean your anchor line as mentioned above but you'll also want to check and see if the locker is clean. They can get pretty moldy from the wet rode over time and will smell. After you clean the area, there are mold prevention products on the market that might help slow down mold growth in there. Spray all the surfaces. The key is to minimize moisture in there and ventilate.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”