Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water collecting in forward bilge

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Water collecting in forward bilge

Postby Sailor Jerry » September 1st, 2019, 6:11 pm

I have water collecting in my forward bilge (Carver 355). I thought it was condensation from my A/C but I replaced the drain hose, and throughly dried out the area and see that is not the problem. I suspect there may be small leak in the hot water tank. I find a small wet area along the bottom of the hot water tank, but really minor so I don[t know that i want to replace it; Anyone have any other ideas? I found a drain plug in the hole that connects the mid-ship bilge with the forward bilge, so I don't think the water is coming from anywhere but within the forward bilge area.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Water collecting in forward bilge

Postby km1125 » September 1st, 2019, 7:19 pm

Did you check the temperature/pressure valve on the water heater? Those are known to be an issue, especially if they are not exercised periodically.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2019, 8:49 am

+1 on KM's suggestion. If you leave your fresh water pump turned on and it cycles periodically without opening any taps and ice maker is off, you likely have a system leak. Hot water tanks are notorious for that after so many years. If it's leaking, don't leave it like that, you'll just end up with a rotten floor that'll be way more problematic to replace than just a leaking tank, especially if she's under the dinette. :banghead:

If it's been raining, you may be getting some in through the anchor locker. I believe they're supposed to be isolated/sealed in the 355 and drain overboard but I have seen the odd one with a hole in the floor that I suspect were just not sealed properly at factory. This lead to rain water in the forward bilge, or sea water every time the anchor was hauled up or a trip in rough seas.

Also check your shower sump and ensure it's not leaking.

Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Sailor Jerry » September 2nd, 2019, 11:17 am

I appreciate the feedback. I did check the shower sump (no leak), and I always turn off the water pressure pump when not on board. This morning I found 5 gal of water in forward bilge, and the area along side the water heater is dry. I am trying to determine whether a small amount of water is leaking back through the bilge pump line. Maybe a boat wake causes some sloshing at the loop?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am

Try what I mentioned above; next time you're staying on the boat for a while, turn on your fresh water pump, if you hear it cycling without you opening a faucet then you have a system leak somewhere. Or pressurize the system then turn the pump off. If you don't have a system leak, it should maintain pressure for a long time. If you return to the boat the next day and the pump cycles when you first turn it on again, then the system has lost pressure due to a leak.

Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Sailor Jerry » September 2nd, 2019, 11:46 am

It's starting to look like the pressure relief valve. Good call.

Canada
Bandit
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ‘99 Carver 404

Postby Bandit » September 2nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Sounds like you found the issue. Just a note if not, in my 404 I had water collecting in the front (I could see a stream coming from under the forward black water tank) while my mid section was dry however after pulling my hair out looking for the leak in the front section discovered it was actually a loose clamp on my exhaust hose in the stern that was leaking and water ran down the hollow stringers to the front. Rudder stocks and thru hulls in the stern would have the same effect.

On that note I have a new leak as well that have yet to find :banghead:

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » September 2nd, 2019, 5:04 pm

I ran a hose connected to the relief valve into my shower sump box, cut a hole on the top cover. Bildge has been dry ever since.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 2nd, 2019, 7:42 pm

Dave are you going to replace the 1/2" relief valve. If so may I suggest that if you have a plastic drain valve, that you replace that at the same time with a brass one. The plastic ones seem to fail, mine did right after I found the leaking relief valve.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » September 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

Mine is brass so the PO must have done that. If it were plastic I most definitely would have replaced it with brass.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”