Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fridge Maintenance

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Fridge Maintenance

Postby Midnightsun » September 5th, 2019, 4:37 am

Our boat came with a Nova Kool side by side fridge freezer which we really like however my wife noticed it does not cool as well as it first did when we purchased the boat 4 years ago. I kept a close eye on it on our last trip and did notice it had a hard time getting things really cold even on the highest setting of 7. I pulled fridge and inspected visually, no dirt or dust bunnies and the compressor and cooling fan are working well. No obstructions at the ventilation holes and it is not exactly scorching hot nowadays.

So my question is what needs to be checked or looked at to tweak the unit to perform better? I assume checking r134 status is probably the most likely culprit.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Re: Fridge Maintenance

Postby darrenlife » September 5th, 2019, 11:58 am

Great post, Hans. I'm also curious in this topic. I have a NovaKool as well and do find it performs better after performing a full defrost.

I have also researched this topic and some have success after installing an auxiliary fan aimed at the compressor to help improve airflow.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Been researching a little and mine has an optional resistor that can be added to the unit. No resistor is low rpm on the compressor which is the least output and the positive here is less draw. Inceasing the resistance will increase the rpm and allow for increased cooling capacity which also increases amp draw.

That being said I need to get to the boat to see what if any resistor is installed. Here is the pdf describing the compressor speed. http://www.novakool.com/support/documen ... 007PDF.pdf
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » September 5th, 2019, 10:29 pm

There was a system called a "stainless lobster" that used to include monitoring and fans to circulate air etcetera etcetera but it looks like their url is dead and so they must also be. Too bad because I had intended to install one with my new fridge when my 30+ year old Norcold finally gave up the ghost. Norcold looks like you outlived another competitor lol
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 6th, 2019, 12:03 am

Hans, before digging into resistors, refrigerant charge etc. Is the compressor running continuously and never stopping?
If it stops, either the the thermostat is telling it the fridge is cold enough or something may be wrong with the inverter board.
Try it on 12v only and see if it gets colder..

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 6th, 2019, 3:57 am

I did give Nova Kool a ring as this is unfamiliar territory for me. They answered on the second ring and was transferred to someone who could help me immediately. I spoke with a gentleman who really knew his stuff as we chatted regarding model, year, boat type, issues and so on. Told me to call back when I was on the boat to trouble shoot with him. Should be tomorrow or later today.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 6th, 2019, 7:51 am

Making sure she's properly defrosted will certainly increase efficiency, the more ice on the evaporator the less efficient she'll be. Along with what's already been mentioned, check your door seal, if it's not a tight seal, she'll work more often and have a hard time keeping up. As Tom mentioned, the t-stat is a common consideration as well.

Keep us posted

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 6th, 2019, 8:07 am

yep keeping the fridges from building up to much ice makes a world of difference
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 6th, 2019, 8:10 am

I do agree, defrosting is a must on a regular basis however not much frost in there. Remember, she was on the dry for 6 weeks, all power off. Only been in the water and connected for a couple of weeks now. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post I do agree, defrosting is a must on a regular basis however not much frost in there. Remember, she was on the dry for 6 weeks, all power off. Only been in the water and connected for a couple of weeks now. ;-)

Is it possible that you have installed something that is dumping some extra heat into the air space the fridge relies on behind .....can't imagine what but .........how they are loaded can affect them as well...

I have noticed with our boat, that the way it faces the sun/docked really affects the inside wall temps on either side.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”