Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Pink Stuff Facts

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Pink Stuff Facts

Postby mjk1040 » October 16th, 2019, 3:56 am

So was in Wal-Mart here in NY, and the pink stuff they were selling was -50 with corrosive inhibitors @ $ 2.58 a gallon, didn't read the entire label, but it looked just like the stuff I bought at West Marine for twice the price?
Anyone know if there is a self life on this pink stuff. A couple years ago I bought several cases of Camco RV/Marine pink stuff, @ $ 2.17/gallon, and I stored it in an unheated garage and several jugs cracked, broke or developed leaks! Guess I'll go back to Wal-Mart and read the entire label.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 16th, 2019, 9:25 am

I use the pink stuff for my onboard water system and for the shower sump. My mechanic does my engines and my A/C system. He used regular anti freeze for those two. I will also run some pink stuff through my bilge pumps.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » October 16th, 2019, 11:49 am

I researched the pink issue and it was made clear to me that ethanol based antifreeze is not suitable for your engines. In addition to being flammable, it is normally made to be used in plastic pipes and is hard on seals and metal components. I also learned that there are different qualities of the ethanol based stuff as well. For example, I looked at ethanol based stuff at Canadian Tire that was their cheapest brand and it said it was only for plastic pipes. I also looked at a ethanol based product that was called Winter Proof that was pricier, that stipulated that it was intended to be used in plastic or metal pipes, with additives that made it friendly for seals, gaskets with corrosion inhibitors. A lot of folks where I am use this in their total winterization of their boats without issue.

However, when it comes to my engines, I was advised by mechanics and some very knowledgable people to only use Propylene Glycol based antifreeze in your engines, as it is designed for that purpose. Yes, it costs more than the ethanol based stuff, but how much more do you really pay at the end of the day.

I was able to sway some people at my marina to go to the Propylene Glycol based product instead of the ethanol based products. I also understand that Propylene Glycol based products should not have any ethanol in it. It is either one or the other. If it has ethanol on the label it is not true Propylene Glycol.

So, after all the research, I like Midnight Sun, cheeped out and used the Winter Proof, ethanol based product for my water systems, because I had it, and the Propylene Glycol based product for my engines. As recommended by Viper, I may switch to all Propylene Glycol for next year for everything, because it is simply a better product.

I paid a lot more than some folks have stated on this site ay $7.99 a jug, so I will shop around for better pricing for next year. May even buy some cheaper at the end of this season when the store have it left over. I have been advised there is no shelf life on this product.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 16th, 2019, 12:15 pm

You have learned well grasshopper. The pink stuff is for water systems only, and should not be diluted in any manner. There is an Extreme product that is green in color. Has all the inhibitors and lubricant properties engines need. Little pricey but can be diluted to 1 gallon Extreme/2 gallons of water. So the real cost at that dilution is around $6 a gallon. Full strength it protects to 100 below Fahrenheit. Diluted as above reduces to about 50 below 0 for engines. See dilution chart on any product you decide. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 16th, 2019, 6:47 pm

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post....He used regular anti freeze......

Are you saying they used green coolant ethylene glycol? Please tell me they didn't.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 17th, 2019, 12:54 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post....He used regular anti freeze......

Are you saying they used green coolant ethylene glycol? Please tell me they didn't.

He used the blue stuff.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 17th, 2019, 7:04 am

Do you know if it's ethylene glycol or propylene glycol?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 17th, 2019, 7:25 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post ....There is an Extreme product that is green in color......Full strength it protects to 100 below Fahrenheit.....

I know a few guys that use it, I've used it as well and it's a great product but it's overkill for our area IMO. Most that use it around here do so because they can't be bothered draining anything. Even with the amount it could be diluted, I'd still be worried as my comfortable place is to drain everything. I also find it harder to clean up because it has an oily consistency. I don't like leaving anything in the bilge when I'm done so the easier/quicker a product cleans up the better for me. Good stuff though albeit costly.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » October 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

Cooler, not many folks up here use the Ethylene Glycol that you speak of. The Volvo manual speaks of it and mixing it with 50/50 water to winterize, however, it is toxic and there is always a concern about how to get rid of it when you done. Dumping it into the ground or the water is not really an option.

The Propylene Glycol is non toxic and will not harm the environment. Mechanics and major marinas up here use this product and also recommend draining the engines prior to the flush. As stated by Viper, easier clean up.

It is good to -46 C (-50 F) and you can even use the -100 stuff, but you will need to take out a mortgage. :-)

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 17th, 2019, 7:57 pm

The product I reference is Prop Glycol, biodegradable. I'll check the bottle next time I am at the store for brand name.
8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”