Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Blocking for Storage

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Blocking for Storage

Postby Viper » October 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

It'll only take one winter for things to go wrong if the ground is unstable just before and after winter. Every area is different but you'd be surprised how much movement that can be. I've dealt with stands that had to be unwound with a sledge hammer because they got too tight, and some that don't do a thing because the ground has dropped leaving several inches of space between the hull and the stand. With a stand, that can be remedied quickly, with blocks, you can shim a gap but if it goes the other way, it'll be a pain to remove a block safely and without damaging the hull.

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post.... make sure all of your interior doors are open, as they will bind.

++1
Pontoon houseboats are notorious for having that problem because of the way they get blocked. It's also not uncommon to find bent structural beams from years of flexing on land.

Take pictures of all your windows to prove that none were cracked prior to this point. If she flexes enough, one or more will crack.

Send the pic to Carver Service and see what they say as some OEMs will have diagrams of the blocking points for different models, which by the way have always been the keel that I've seen. Even if they say those points alone are okay to support the weight of the vessel, the concern is how will ground movement affect that since the sides are bearing all the weight rather than simply steadying her. If they tell you that she must be set on her keel, get it in writing, take it to the marina and insist they remedy it properly. That means lifting her and setting her keel on blocks, not simply shimming blocks under her now.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I take back my opinion.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 6th, 2019, 2:30 pm

A little story here.......We had our first Carver that came with it's own factory shipping/storage cradle..weighed a ton... :censored: .....well the first winter we stored it on that cradle thinking that was the best...... this boat had a transom door and a few weeks after sitting on the cradle the door would not close right.....in the spring about an hour after the boat hit the water the door worked just fine again.

Needless to say a lesson learned, bought blocks and had stands made.....we did all our own lift out/in/blocking work ourselves at the time....it never happened again......I know , I know another old guy tale.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 300 Sedan

Postby Dusty Bilges » December 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm

In case anyone is interested the marina owner drove his lift over the tops of two houseboats that were in the row I was in; picked up my boat; put three keel stands under keel and set it back down again; and used the wood blocks on the four corners just to keep it from leaning. No charge. Good guy. Good marina. He likes me - maybe because every time I fill up with gas its a four-hundred dollar event.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 8th, 2019, 9:45 am

Excellent, thanks for following up. Good on them for taking the extra time and expense to satisfy a customer. :down:

Topic author United States of America
Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 300 Sedan

Postby Dusty Bilges » May 23rd, 2021, 6:20 pm

In case anyone's interested I bought three keel jack stands ($168 each!), and the yard redid it.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 23rd, 2021, 10:16 pm

Thanks for keeping us in the loop :down:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”