Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bilge pumps 1987 3607

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Bilge pumps 1987 3607

Postby RWS » October 13th, 2019, 11:24 pm

How do I get the bilge pumps to run all the time and not automatically ? there are switches in aft closet,on both the fly and lower helms and on the main pannel. I want to run the mid pump to remove some water but it seems to be set to come on only for short moments.Thanks for your help.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Bilge pumps 1987 3607

Postby Midnightsun » October 14th, 2019, 5:33 am

There are 2 styles of pumps.

1) Works continuously by selecting the on position at the helm or automatically when the float switch is activated.

2) Pump runs automatically every 10 mins or so for a short period, if there is water the pump senses this because of the higher amp draw from pumping water as opposed to spinning freely and remains on until no water is left. These pumps cannot be turned on to run continuously which sounds like what you have.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 14th, 2019, 12:06 pm

On my 3607 if you turn the pump switch at the helm (lower or bridge stations) then the pumps run. This circuit is fed off a different breaker in the panel (manual bilge pump fwd, manual bilge pump main).

If someone replaced the pumps though you could have the situation where midnightsun describes where the pump will only run for so many seconds then shutoff if it doesn't detect a load.

I suspect that the "switches" you're describing on the main panel and in the aft closet are really the circuit protection breakers. The ones in the aft closet would be wired directly to the battery (maybe at the battery switch) and provide power for the automatic operation and the ones in the panel would be providing power for the manual activation via the actual switches at the helms.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Postby RWS » October 14th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Thank you

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”