Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Air Conditioning Pump/Sump Pump WTF

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Air Conditioning Pump/Sump Pump WTF

Postby vineyardgray » October 18th, 2019, 7:56 pm

My air conditioning has been frosting up and one of the kind forum members here mentioned that it was likely that the water wasn't circulating properly. This turned out to be bang on the money because over the next few days the pump started to struggle and not much was coming out of the through-hull. Time to investigate.
IMG_20191014_1723015.jpg

I opened up the strainer to see if it needed cleaning but it seemed pretty good. Then I closed the strainer and turned the system back on - the pump sounded like sand was being poured down a pipe. This I recall having been told once is what cavitation sounds like and so I started looking for a way for air to get in. I looked suspiciously at the strainer lid.

These strainers are old cork gasket jobs and I'm sure they're in need of some new cork. Good job for the winter, but for now I gave a twist on the lid wingnut with some pliers and the cavitation sound improved some but not all. I cranked again and "snap" - the wingnut stripped the thread and I lost my ability to refrain from swearing.

Found a solution though:
IMG_20191014_1722568.jpg

Then I noticed the float switch for the bilge was floating but no pumping was going on. Looked like some crap™ was stuck in the pump so cleaned that out. Looked at the wiring and the connections were all taped together - so took that apart and found another mess. But look at this wire! Pink and brittle.
IMG_20191014_1756285.jpg

I had to cut a long way to get to good wire. This is factory wire and is not tinned. Bummer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Air Conditioning Pump/Sump Pump WTF

Postby bud37 » October 19th, 2019, 9:11 am

Had the same issue with the strainer cork gaskets. Got some thick cork sheet stock and made some as the OEM replacements were grossly overpriced. If you are in and out regular, I think they only last for a couple years....make spares..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”