Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Exhaust Flapper

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Peter3607
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 500 CMY
1989 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Exhaust Flapper

Postby Peter3607 » October 22nd, 2019, 6:41 pm

Any one know where I can buy a replacement exhaust flapper for my '89 Carver 3607?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Re: Exhaust Flapper

Postby vineyardgray » October 22nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

What are those for anyway? Muskrat?

If you want to make the port and starboard sides even just rip off the other one. :-D
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm

I believe they are for stopping wave backflow rushing into the exhaust port for the most part. I do know for sure they will not even slow down a muskrat...... :-O

Have you checked out any of the salvage yards around ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 23rd, 2019, 1:34 am

I would think that a marine store even if they don't have them in stock could order them for you. I have the same flappers on my Carver and fortunately when I bought the boat there were two spares in among the various items the previous owner left.

Sorry, in case you ask they are not for sale. I will keep them in case I need them.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 23rd, 2019, 7:36 am

There are clamp-on designs that are very common but I haven't seen yours on the market for a while and I can't remember who the OEM was. I recommend contacting Carver with your hull number, they should be able to give you the supplier info and part number. Hopefully they're still in production.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 23rd, 2019, 11:13 am

Almost 100% sure they are available through Land & Sea. Just find a dealer near you and show them the pic. If not L&S, then Marysville Marine. And yes, they are primarily for back flow of water, especially when you come off plain and the wake catches up to you. A push of water there can have disastrous effect up to what is referred to as aqua-lock to your pistons. Will not happen easily as you most likely do not slow down very quickly, and there is still back pressure from the engine running. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 24th, 2019, 11:09 am

Update, I believe the OEM is Salisbury Exhaust. Don't think they are in business anymore. They specialized in high performance exhaust systems. Centek makes are flapper pretty close to that, but it attaches with a plate with screws. I think you could modify that attachment easily. Marysville Marine has those in stock. You probably should look into it. If you get water in the actual muffler canister, that can get expensive if that needs to be replaced. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
Peter3607
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 500 CMY
1989 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby Peter3607 » June 1st, 2020, 5:38 pm

Still no success finding a replacement exhaust flapper. If I were to remove the 4 screws holding the end piece in place, what are my options for a new unit all together? I believe the inside diameter is 3 1/2" and the outside diameter is 5 1/2" (pictures posted earlier and above)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”