Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1983 Carver 3607 / Need Resource for windows repair Materials

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Skydancer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
Twin Crusader 350s (454 cui)

1983 Carver 3607 / Need Resource for windows repair Materials

Postby Skydancer » December 29th, 2019, 12:24 pm

The Spring Loaded windows (All around) my yacht need new "flip up windows". Most of the "ears" for the locking screws have been broken. I can remove the frames and repair the frames and screens; but don't have any options - that I can see - for repairing the window (other than replacing it).
Any ideas on resources?

ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1983 Carver 3607 / Need Resource for windows repair Materials

Postby km1125 » December 30th, 2019, 12:34 pm

You can still buy these, I think. Or at least you could just a couple years ago. I'm guessing yours are Grey (or Gray) Marine portlights? They got bought by Pompanette/Bomar several years ago. You can buy replacement parts direct from them at retail, but once you get the part numbers you should check around because other retailers sell the parts at some discounted prices. You can also buy the seal from them by the foot. I replaced all my seals several years ago. It was very simple. I replaced a couple of the portlight lenses that had broken tabs (like yours) or one that was too badly foggy. The others I was able to clean up very nicely with the 3 part plastic scratch removers and cleaners.

ALSO, the trick to NOT breaking the window or holddown tabs is to push on the window with your thumb and only tighten the clamp LIGHTLY with the other hand. Do this on all of them in two steps and the hatches will be sealed well and you won't break things.

Topic author United States of America
Skydancer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
Twin Crusader 350s (454 cui)

Re: 1983 Carver 3607 / Need Resource for windows repair Materials

Postby Skydancer » January 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm

KM1125
Thanks for the thoughtful response. The information is very much appreciated - and timely.

I just acquired this yacht and am trying to correct years of ignorant abuse by previous owners. :captain2:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”