Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water leak from arch area 2006 Carver 36 MY

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

water leak from arch area 2006 Carver 36 MY

Postby Cliffm » January 26th, 2020, 10:52 pm

I believe we have a water leak coming from the arch area of our 2006 36MY Carver (leaking from the access panels) . I understand after 14yrs we may need to re-caulk some things?

What's the best way to access the arch area? I'm assuming (as I've never done it) that I un-zip the helm canvas and slide loose the areas attached to the arch? so I can stand/kneel on the ledge behind the helm seat ? how much canvas needs to be un-done to release the arch area?

When it comes to "un-doing" the various mounts on the arch? do they come loose from the underside access panels for from above?

Anyone done a similar thing recently and have any pointers?

Thanks in advance!
Cliff & Beth Mathison
"the Condo"

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Re: water leak from arch area 2006 Carver 36 MY

Postby Cliffm » February 3rd, 2020, 9:33 am

**update** the water leak from the mounted items on the radar arch area is minimal, need new rubber seals around the cabling for the VHF antenna, and some RTV under screws.

Biggest issue is the plexiglass window below the arch. as another poster pointed out, there is a depression between the window and the patio roof, and the window seal is all that keeps it from leaking on the shelf over the helm seating. Our seal on the starboard lower corner is leaking, and looking through the window, the caulking for patio roof joint needs to be replaced as well. We want to remove the window, re-calk the patio roof seam, then re-calk the window back in.

Has anyone removed and re-bedded the plexiglass window? If so, what did you use? Is it compatible to use 3m-5200 for this?
how did you remove the plexiglass? Linoleum knife down the edge of the Plexiglas?

Has anyone installed drain holes for this depression area between the window and the patio roof seam, so it can drain left or right side?

if so, how did you do it?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”