Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How to remove wood from cabin entry for refinishing?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Santego 3467
Twin 454 Crusaders

How to remove wood from cabin entry for refinishing?

Postby BarryK » February 17th, 2020, 2:51 am

Hi all,

There is a piece of wood that you step over when you enter the cabin on my Santego 3467 (1990). I'd like to remove it for refinishing. I removed all of the screws that I could find but it is still firmly attached. The rail for the curtain is on top of this piece. Do I need to remove the carpet to look for more screws?

Thanks!
Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: How to remove wood from cabin entry for refinishing?

Postby km1125 » February 17th, 2020, 9:23 am

It's probably just stuck down with something like bedding compound. I would try prying lightly on the bottom on each side and see if you can wiggle it loose.

I can't tell from the pics... are there screws on the other side?

BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » February 17th, 2020, 6:11 pm

There is carpet covering the back side. It is the dark area on the picture. I did not want to remove the carpet; it is fairly new. There might be more screws there?

Thx!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I'm just wondering if the two pieces of wood are sandwiching a lip and they are screwed into each other. I have not seen that entryway close-up to know exactly what you're dealing with, just thinking of the possibilities.

BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » February 18th, 2020, 11:40 pm

We have just sanded and stained it in place for now. Varnish goes on tomorrow. We did not want to do too much disassembly. Thanks for the help everyone!

Barry

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”