Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Single engine trolling on twin vdrive Carver

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Single engine trolling on twin vdrive Carver

Postby Fishboy » April 26th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Hi all!

Fishboy here, and first of all thanks for all the info! I’ve been searching the site to learn about Carver boats and I’m getting an education from your shared experience.

I’ve been boating for 18yrs in a 27ft cruiser style Bayliner that lives on a trailer and we’ve had some excellent adventures (including crossing Lake Superior) but I’m about to upgrade to a Carver 320 Voyager. I just saw the boat yesterday and it’s low hours and great shape, survey scheduled for May 8th. Fingers crossed.

I’ll keep the boat on Lake Michigan at Winthrop Harbor and plan to set it up for fishing but can’t seem to find any intel on trolling with one engine shut down. I’m sure you can help!

1 Is the boat controllable at idle speed on one engine?

2 What speed do you think I’d be doing in that case? I prefer to troll between 2-3mph on the gps.

3 Might this be a problem for the engine not running? I’ve found some conversations where some feel it shouldn’t be done if the vdrive will be turning without the engine running, possible drive overheat? I’ve found this scenario discussed several places on forums like this but it’s usually when someone wants to travel at hull speed on one engine to save fuel, not 2-3mph trolling for fish.

4 In this case I would think I could leave the non running engine in gear to keep the prop from spinning at these low speeds. Any issues with that?

The marina opens for business on May 1 and I can’t wait to shelter in place on my new (old) boat!

Btw, the 320 has Crusader carbureted 350’s with Walter vdrives, 500hrs.

Thanks, Doug

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Single engine trolling on twin vdrive Carver

Postby RGrew176 » April 27th, 2020, 10:01 am

There are a lot of experts here. I'm not necessarily one of them. I would think however you could troll on one engine and at 2 to 3 MPH it would not be fast enough to cause the off engine propeller to rotate.

In another forum I belong to one of the members there cruises on one engine most of the time. He's been doing it for years and has never reported any issues doing that.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » April 27th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Thanks Rick! I appreciate the reply. I'd hate to learn I've bought a boat that can't do what I'm planning to do with it.

I hope to hear from some who've done this about how controllable it is. My current 27ft has a single IO which causes the boat to wander and it's a bit of a chore in the wrong wind conditions to maintain a course.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 27th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Welcome aboard Doug.

Note the model of the Walter drive and give them a call about it. I believe some are okay with that and some weren't but don't quote me on it. Are you talking about the Walter v-drive that's separate from the engine with a shaft connecting the two? If so, you would also have a transmission on the engine and I'd be more concerned with that depending on the model and vintage than I would be with the separate Walter drive. What vintage are we talking about?

Are we talking about 350 HP or 350 cc? Either way, I would say running an engine of that size that low for extended periods isn't ideal unless it'll be under more load to overcome the drag of the static prop on the other side, that's one of the reasons they have kicker motors and trolling plates.

You also want to ensure that the static engine doesn't ingest water through the exhaust in a following sea or wake as there won't be any exhaust pressure to help keep it out. Don't know if applicable in your application but there's also a concern of ingestion when there are dripless shaft logs where the cooling circuit is a loop from the engines to the logs and a line tying the two logs together. Mercury issued a bulletin warning that raw water pressure from the running engine could go from it's corresponding log to the other side and up to the manifold of the non running engine.

Having said all that, I've heard over the years that a lot of people do it especially on long trips.

United States of America
gotjeepzj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Mariner 3297

Postby gotjeepzj » April 28th, 2020, 2:27 am

I killed the starboard on my test drive and I can tell you I wouldn’t recommend it. Had to turn almost full port just keep in a straight line and the other engine wasn’t happy. It took several minutes of dead stop before she would fire up again

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » April 28th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard Doug.

Note the model of the Walter drive and give them a call about it. I believe some are okay with that and some weren't but don't quote me on it. Are you talking about the Walter v-drive that's separate from the engine with a shaft connecting the two? If so, you would also have a transmission on the engine and I'd be more concerned with that depending on the model and vintage than I would be with the separate Walter drive. What vintage are we talking about?

Are we talking about 350 HP or 350 cc? Either way, I would say running an engine of that size that low for extended periods isn't ideal unless it'll be under more load to overcome the drag of the static prop on the other side, that's one of the reasons they have kicker motors and trolling plates.

You also want to ensure that the static engine doesn't ingest water through the exhaust in a following sea or wake as there won't be any exhaust pressure to help keep it out. Don't know if applicable in your application but there's also a concern of ingestion when there are dripless shaft logs where the cooling circuit is a loop from the engines to the logs and a line tying the two logs together. Mercury issued a bulletin warning that raw water pressure from the running engine could go from it's corresponding log to the other side and up to the manifold of the non running engine.

Having said all that, I've heard over the years that a lot of people do it especially on long trips.

Viper, lots of food for thought in your reply! Thank you. The engines are 350cc Crusader 350XL-270hp on a 1994 320 Voyager.

There is a shaft connecting the transmission and the vdrive. I’ll call Walter to get more intel on that model and also ask about the tranny and any issues with my scenario. Might have to call the tranny company and or Crusader to get the best answer.

I’m hoping to get away from a kicker, that’s why I’m getting a second engine. My current kicker adds 110lbs behind the swim platform and it served to make the boat aft heavy when running on plane. The 320 model also has the swim platform and would likely lead to the same condition. I may have to consider that though...

Water ingestion from a following sea is an excellent point to consider. If I can learn it’s ok to do this I think I’d make a hard foam plug with a safety rope on it that could be placed in the non running exhaust port. Need to think about that one and do more research. The exhaust is located on the side of the boat just above the waterline but there’s often some pretty good swells on Lake Michigan and it’s sometimes a cross sea while fishing.

I don’t believe it has dripless shaft seals, the current owner mentioned that it drips as designed into the bilge.

You’ve given me great questions to consider, thank you!

Doug

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » April 28th, 2020, 12:15 pm

gotjeepzj wrote:Source of the post I killed the starboard on my test drive and I can tell you I wouldn’t recommend it. Had to turn almost full port just keep in a straight line and the other engine wasn’t happy. It took several minutes of dead stop before she would fire up again

Thanks for your reply gotjeepz!

I looked up your model and would guess it has a similar prop and rudder alignment and size. Now I’m worried it won’t be very controllable. Did you notice what speed you were doing and the wind conditions during your sea trial?

Trolling on one engine would have no relation to the others ability to start or run imo, maybe there’s some other factors involved with that like that engine didn’t start easily when warm?

Doug

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum......there are lots of guys using these types of boats for salmon/trout charters on the great lakes. Check out a few fishing forums etc....really the same running gear is in many different manufacturers boats so perhaps there might be some insight into how they run while trolling.

Sometimes the fuel savings aren't quite what you would think while going that slow with two engines as opposed to just one. One engine will not be half because when on one, the rpms and load will be higher especially in any kind of a sea. ....boat control will be better with two on when fighting fish and trolling your lines to keep from tangles..... :-O ....especially with bridge style boats with lots of windage.

That is good advice from Viper, good idea to get the manufacturers take on things.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » April 28th, 2020, 2:59 pm

I agree with Bud37. On my Santego at idle with both engines turning is only 2-3 mph. Often at idle, I center the rudder and steer with the props using forward, neutral or reverse. The same will also work using the throttle. With only one engine in gear you your vessel will want to turn away from the spinning prop, i.e. port engine in forward gear she will turn to starboard, so you will continually have to input left rudder to keep a straight heading.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » April 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the forum......there are lots of guys using these types of boats for salmon/trout charters on the great lakes. Check out a few fishing forums etc....really the same running gear is in many different manufacturers boats so perhaps there might be some insight into how they run while trolling.

Sometimes the fuel savings aren't quite what you would think while going that slow with two engines as opposed to just one. One engine will not be half because when on one, the rpms and load will be higher especially in any kind of a sea. ....boat control will be better with two on when fighting fish and trolling your lines to keep from tangles..... :-O ....especially with bridge style boats with lots of windage.

That is good advice from Viper, good idea to get the manufacturers take on things.

bud37, thanks for the reply! Fuel saving isn't really my concern but engine hours are, and using one instead of both appeals to my sense of frugality. I'm sure you're right about controllability with both v one, especially in a good breeze. I had the same controllability issues with my kicker on the 27 Bayliner but you can play your course and the wind together and find a line that works best. Lots of room out there on the big lake. I'm sure this tall boat with the plastic up will definitely add to the difficulty factor though.

I've searched the fishing forums, I often read Chitown Angler and found a few conversations over there discussing the topic, but Viper gave me some excellent questions to answer that I didn't see over there.

I'm going to be a long way from the lines when up on the flybridge, I'm sure it'll cost me some fish but I've been dreaming of a Carver like this one for many years so I don't care. Catching a fish is just icing on the cake!

Tried to include a pic and couldn't make it happen. Must be a rookie issue

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”