Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

anyone know whats is going on here

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: anyone know whats is going on here

Postby Viper » April 27th, 2020, 11:05 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Ok, instead of clear coat, could it be Poliglow or similar product? If not kept up, splotchiness will happen.
Before you go to the extreme of wet sanding, in case it is Poliglow, buy a quart of Poliglow stripper and a Scotchbrite pad and go to it.
Some years ago, I bought a 34' sailboat that had been coated with a Poliglow competitive product and really looked bad. I bought the stripper and was able to strip the entire boat in less than an hour. Whole lot easier than wet sanding an entire 34' boat

That's the name I was trying to remember! :down: Basically the same idea though. They had a booth at the boat show trying to convince people with a decent sized boat to spend $10K for doing just their hull sides. Their selling point was that you wouldn't have to polish again but for that price I could have someone else polish my hull sides and have it looking perfect for 20-30 years considering it doesn't have to be polished every single season. The product does have a place under certain conditions but it would be a very low option on the list IMO.

Before you use any stripper, make sure the surface is gelcoat and not paint. I have more confidence that gelcoat would hold up but paint might not. Depends on what was used. You also don't want to stain the gelcoat permanently so it may be best to test a small inconspicuous spot and leave it for a few days to see if there is any reaction to the top coating.

Keep us posted.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 27th, 2020, 11:20 am

RWS wrote:Source of the post
buster53 wrote:Source of the post Ok, instead of clear coat, could it be Poliglow or similar product? If not kept up, splotchiness will happen.
Before you go to the extreme of wet sanding, in case it is Poliglow, buy a quart of Poliglow stripper and a Scotchbrite pad and go to it.
Some years ago, I bought a 34' sailboat that had been coated with a Poliglow competitive product and really looked bad. I bought the stripper and was able to strip the entire boat in less than an hour. Whole lot easier than wet sanding an entire 34' boat

How can I know this was the product used? will it remove all wax as well?

It really looks like failing clear in that pic, but could be one of those shine promoting products. In any case be careful with the wet sanding....there is only so much gel coat on your boat and at this point tough to tell how many times it has been sanded/compounded over the years......each time it gets done more gel is removed.......perhaps that was the reason for that repair.

Have a pro check it out if you want to restore that area to original.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 27th, 2020, 3:54 pm

RWS wrote:Source of the post

How can I know this was the product used? will it remove all wax as well?

Of course it will take off the wax...so will wet sanding.
Taking off wax is the least of your concerns. If it is Poliglow, all you need to do is buy a $15-20 bottle of stripper to find out.
Google Poliglow to see the products they offer and to read boating forums to see what people say about it.
I'm not saying it is or isn't Poliglow. Just offering a different possibility to the problem you have and a possible solution that is way easier than wet sanding your boat.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » May 10th, 2020, 10:51 am

RWS wrote:Source of the post Greg I believe you are correct, that's what the detail guys is saying "it has had a product put on it" Any idea what a professional wet sand on a 3607 could run?

RWS....so what's the latest? Inquiring minds want to know.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Postby RWS » June 4th, 2020, 4:22 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post
RWS wrote:Source of the post Greg I believe you are correct, that's what the detail guys is saying "it has had a product put on it" Any idea what a professional wet sand on a 3607 could run?

RWS....so what's the latest? Inquiring minds want to know.

Buster53, I'm still looking into it. I have had 3 detail guys look at it and their not sure. I'm going to talk to some fiberglass guys next.

United States of America
Happyours2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466 Hardtop with Volvo's

Postby Happyours2 » December 24th, 2020, 10:09 am

I picked up a 2001 466 last spring that was fully covered with a clearcoat that was in advance state of flaking. I tried everything to get it off including compounding and wet sanding which I regret not leaving to a professional since I wasted a lot of time and effort. Ultimately at the end of the season a friend suggested that I try using Super Clean (available at Walmart) which I sprayed on, allowed to penetrate for a minute or so and then wiped off with a water-soaked gray Scotch Bright pad. I did worry about how the chemical would effect the gelcoat but I was at my wits end and found that it worked very well though labor intensive. The cleaner turned the clear coat a light brown so you had a good idea of where to scrub and when you had it all off. Time for a good compounding and Clear wax! Good luck!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”