Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water in bilge

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

water in bilge

Postby pepmyster » April 27th, 2020, 7:23 am

Hello Carver fanatics! 2004 360 Sports Sedan, 8.1VP's as engines. In the bilge, in the center section between the 2 engines, I've always seen water there. I have no clue if that is a normality or not. No, I am not on our baby yet, but always questioned this. Any clues? Normal or not.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: water in bilge

Postby Midnightsun » April 27th, 2020, 7:39 am

I have a little in mine also but no there should not be water there. When I say a little I would estimate the most ever sitting there is about a litres worth. The shaft seals may have a slight leak or a small drip from a water pump, heat exchanger, AC condensate or a bunch of other stuff. Difficult to troubleshoot without some visual going on. Where are the vents located as this may also be a source of intrusion.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » April 27th, 2020, 8:24 am

Yes, Seems to be a separate cavity as compared to the space under the engines. When I launch, when ever that will be, I'll see if the water only gets there after I connect the water line. Could that be from the AC system, draining into the bilge like my other boat did?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 27th, 2020, 11:00 am

You could put rolled up towels here and there and see which ones get wet first....I have done this to find out the direction of where leaks are coming from. They soak up the water and like little dams keep the other side dry.

It will be a while I'm afraid so stay safe...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » April 27th, 2020, 11:05 am

Yes, I want to find out if this is normal or not. I don't want to chase something that is normal. It's always been like that with me....

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 27th, 2020, 11:51 am

Assuming the water isn't from regular flax type shaft logs, the very beginning of the season when you first get launched is the best time to check for this sort of thing. When the shut down lifts, find out what day you'll be launched and try to get there the day before at least, or the morning of if possible. Check the bilge for water in case it's findings it's way in through some other way due to rain. Aft it gets launched and before you turn on any other system that involves water, check the bilge again. The only caveat here is that the boat sits differently on land than it does in the water and any water that may have been hiding under a tank would now migrate to a different area that might now be noticeable. Inspect all the hardware that penetrates the hull from bow to stern including thrusters.

After that, what you want to do is turn on only one system at a time and inspect, giving it a little time to run especially an air conditioner which might take a while before condensate forms to a point where a leak is obvious. If nothing is found, turn that system off then move on to the next. I like running the engines first and bring them up to temp, then inspect for leaks but run only one at a time and inspect. Before turning each engine off, ensure it's at idle then put it in gear to spin the shaft and inspect the shaft logs again for leaks. Do the same for rudders, turn the wheel back and forth then inspect the rudder logs again. I would think that your shaft logs are dripless for your vintage but the rudder logs might not be and a drip now and then is normal. Same for non-dripless shaft logs.

The water system inspection is lines and fittings and anything that's hooked up to it; faucets, hot water heater, washer/dryer, ice make, even the fresh water windshield washer system if applicable. While some of these items may not be in that area, they may have lines going to them that originate in the engine compartment or a path for water to get there from the device. You'll have to commission the fresh water system first to get all the air out. Don't forget to run water into all the drains as they could be a source as well, and the shower sumps as well as raw water wash-down system, and the raw water circuit for the air conditioners.

The key is running one thing at a time and inspect. Also consider that it may be ingress from rain through an anchor rode opening or windlass, or water from wet rode after you haul up your anchor. If the anchor locker isn't sealed, it could be an easy path to the bilge.

Finally, if she's still dry after all that, take her out for a run. If you have water after that, it could be coming through vents, air intakes, overboard discharges, etc. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Good luck

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » April 27th, 2020, 4:14 pm

All great advice!

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 16th, 2023, 7:27 am

Still searching. Resealed the starboard vent , there is a drip tray behind it that I was sure was the problem. Nope. The water would only accumulate after it rains. That I know. Gezzzzz what a mystery!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 16th, 2023, 7:59 am

I solved my issue last year by luck. The flexible rubber like joint joining the wet fibreglass exhaust elbow was the culprit. The fibreglass portion had a defect in it, kinda like a bump/imperfection. Saw a drip by hazard coming from it. Fix was to loosen the rubber part and slide it further down the fibreglass tube where it was perfectly round and tighten up the clamps. Dry as a bone now.

Doubt you have the same issue but point is, check the wet exhaust run joints for signs of a drip.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 18th, 2023, 10:52 am

We had hard rain here. I resealed the starboard vent pan which was leaking from a spot weld. Then the hard rain came. Starboard side stern was receiving water from the back deck over flowing because the rear drain wasn’t working. Remove the hose the see what blockage. This was blocking the exit point for the water in the elbow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”