Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Adding hydrofoil to Dinghy?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Adding hydrofoil to Dinghy?

Postby buster53 » May 11th, 2020, 9:27 am

Just as a reference...
My brother used to have a Logic, maybe 9-10 feet, not a lightweight boat, with a Honda 15 on the back. With 4 of us, about 700 lbs of people, it would plane. Talk about a struggle. It would take a good minute, maybe longer, but it would get up on plane. I don't recall if we ever tried with 3, but would imagine it would have been a fairly easy plane.
With just one person, it was dangerously fast.

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » May 11th, 2020, 10:26 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post You cannot assume by modding an engine you are getting the "equivalent" of factory 15HP engines. I do have lots of experience with 15hp Yamaha 2 strokes and can tell you a hard bottom dingy with this motor on the back is excellent and would not have any issues planing with 2 passengers on board unless they were extremely over weight to the tune of 250+ pounds each.

That being said, I believe your issue is you have a 9.9 and the theoretical 15hp is just not happening. Shifting your passengers forward until up on plane is a far better solution IMHO. If this does not work then no modification of fins or other measure will function, just need more juice for the application. As for changing the prop from aluminum to stainless, I seriously doubt there would be any noticeable difference except in your wallet :-D

Thanks for the feedback and yes if weight is shifted we have no problem plaining. I was thinking the SS route might help as on my previous boat 245 Bayliner the engine was under powered and struggled to plain with anything over 5 passengers with an aluminum prop and I converted to SS and worked like a charm.

Cheers,

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » May 11th, 2020, 11:02 am

My previous dinghy was a Brig 330, 11', with a 9.9 Merc. I am 6'4" and go 265, pre Covid. I could get that on plane with the Admiral and I and it would clip along pretty good. With 3 people, I was dead in the water and restricted to putting along.

In my experience, I have learned that the longer the dinghy the better your planing ability. I had a friend with a 9' dinghy with a 15 Yamaha on it and he struggled to get it on plane with him and his wife in it. With him alone that thing was scary fast for a dinghy.

Greg

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 11th, 2020, 11:20 am

The only advantage from aluminum to stainless is stainless is less pliable therefor will not bend under load. When aluminum flexes the pitch obviously changes a bit when the highest load is applied such as when attempting to get on plane. Once up and running on plane the prop tends to regain its original pitch or most of it. There is a second advantage which is the stainless version can be made thinner because it is less pliable and therefor offer a little less resistance on the leading edge. These differences are very small and any obvious benefits can simply be accounted for by change of diameter/pitch from one manufacturer/model to another. All this is more for bigger boats, on a 15HP the prop seems like a toy in comparison and I doubt there is any flex in these due to the small size.

The biggest disadvantage with stainless is the weight difference which is probably 3 fold. Then there is the internal damage the much more rugged stainless will cause when you eventually do hit that rock. Aluminum on the other hand self destructs so you simply end up changing the prop as opposed to shafts and gears and whatever else inside which could take the impact.

Now for the big important question. Did you change the original prop when you modified the engine to pump out 15hp?

The way we do it here is we buy a 15 and put 9.9 decals on it. :-D

Here is a link to 15hp Yamaha props. As you can see there is only 1 choice for diameter so you are stuck with this. Pitch varies so those could be played with a little. https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propell ... 8%20Spline)

If you look for 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke props you will see the list is identical to the 15hp selection.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » May 12th, 2020, 10:52 am

If it was me, I would just add a big cooler filled with ice and beverages in the bow of the dinghy, and keep my speed to something less than rocket. The beverages will keep you hydrated for the extra 5 min your travel will take. WAY less than a SS prop that will eventually take out your shaft and/or gears if the kids are really bent on bending some props. :-D 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » May 12th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post If it was me, I would just add a big cooler filled with ice and beverages in the bow of the dinghy, and keep my speed to something less than rocket. The beverages will keep you hydrated for the extra 5 min your travel will take. WAY less than a SS prop that will eventually take out your shaft and/or gears if the kids are really bent on bending some props. :-D 8-) er

Best advice yet!! I'll take you up on this one!

Cheers,

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Well if that's the route you want to go may I suggest you add one of these also to do it in style! :-D Only the best will do. https://www.burnewiin.com/accessories/b ... tle-opener
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » May 12th, 2020, 5:35 pm

:lol: Hans with the money he saves by NOT getting that stainless prop , he should be able to get at least two of those high dollar bottle openers. One for the boat and the other for the dingy. :drunk: and remember a lot of late night testing went into thier design. :beergood:
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”