Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396 power steering

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 396 power steering

Postby tomschauer » May 19th, 2020, 10:34 pm

I totally agree with Vipers last two posts. If its a non pressurized system, the cap and o ring are to prevent fluid from splashing out and dirt from getting in. You need to bleed it with the cap lose or off.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 19th, 2020, 10:36 pm

How much oil are you putting into the helm? You should be able to see the oil inside. I start with it just below the bottom of the threads.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 20th, 2020, 8:55 am

Good Morning all;

Gonna start the bleeding process this AM, just so I do not mess it up, this is what I am doing:

* Remove cap at helm
* fill fluid to just below the threads (which is kinda where I am at now, after I filled it)
* Loosen the bleed screw to the piston on the LEFT side
* Turn the wheel hard to the left side.
* Tighten the bleed screw
* Return the wheel to center position
* Repeat on Right Side
* Repeat on BOTH sides until all air bubbles are removed and smooth operation is returned.

Does that sound about right and in typing this out, it might help if I had a second person and this may have to wait til my kids get here this weekend! LOL

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 20th, 2020, 10:11 am

I only have one thing to add.....if this just showed up after winter storage....there may be a small leak or some seals are getting tired.....in any case , sometimes it takes quite a lot of turning back and forth, like a lot, to get it back......one thing after doing all that , if there is a leak you will find it if the fluid drops again..

To cross everything off the list......have you checked the operating ram at the rudders yet for leaks ??...good luck man..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 20th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Sounds right but you need to do it with two people so you can open and close the bleeder and hold the ram while the wheel is being turned.

When you first started, how empty was the helm or how much oil did you need to add to top it up? If you had to add a lot, you likely have a leak somewhere that needs to be remedied or you'll run into this again, and probably at the worst possible time!

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 30th, 2020, 8:10 am

hey all; quick follow up on this one.

First - I cannot seem to find the bleed screw on the piston back by the rudder? I thought I know exactly what it was until I got down in there and noted that what I thought was a screw, actually was what looked to be some sort of drilled hole on either side to be used for holding it or griping the piston?

As far as how much I added, maybe 2 or 3oz? was not a whole lot, that is for sure, but it did take some.

I worked the wheel back and forth many times and it seemed to help so maybe I'm in good shape. I'm gonna drive it a bit more and see how she does.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 30th, 2020, 8:18 am

You mentioned a small motor in the system, that's likely an autopilot pump. Do you have an autopilot controller at the helm?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”