Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bridge Throttles Stiff with Throttle Creep

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
TheNatalina
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Voyager 28 Cabin Cruiser

Bridge Throttles Stiff with Throttle Creep

Postby TheNatalina » May 26th, 2020, 11:10 am

The Bridge Throttles on my 1984 28-foot Voyager are stiff and will not hold RPM. When trying to set a Cruising RPM they creep downward. This condition is not repeated with the Cabin Throttles. I have twin Mercruisers and they are running beautifully, but the throttles are are wearing out my right arm. Thanks for any suggestions as I am new to this boat and can use all the help I can get!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bridge Throttles Stiff with Throttle Creep

Postby bud37 » May 26th, 2020, 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum.....depending on which controls you have, there should be an adjustment screw to tighten which will make the lever more difficult or easier to operate.....

But you say they are stiff, hard to operate yet easily slip back toward idle if left alone ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
TheNatalina
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Voyager 28 Cabin Cruiser

Postby TheNatalina » May 26th, 2020, 3:29 pm

This is good information on the adjustment screw and I'll give it a try. Thank you!

You are correct though - they are tight to move from Idle to any Cruising RPM (which might be the screw), but also will not stay at a selected RPM. Yesterday I had pushed them up to around 2800 for example, and they slowly slid back to under 2000 RPM.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 26th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Welcome aboard.

Tightening the screw will prevent the lever prom falling back but will also result in more effort required to move the lever. When that happy medium is crossed, it's usually time to replace the cables. Before you do however, disconnect them at the remote and see if the levers move freely in case it's a remote control issue. Check the inside components of the remote and ensure it's clear of old caked up grease, then lubricate it. You should also check to ensure there are no sharp bends in the cables from the remote to the engines or to the other station as that's the way some applications are set up. In any case, there shouldn't be sharp bends in the cables. The straighter they are the better where practical.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”