Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Window Weather Stripping

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Jangocat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1975 28' Carver Santa Cruz, Flybridge,twin 302 Waukasha inboards, shaft drive

Window Weather Stripping

Postby Jangocat » May 29th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm looking for information on the fuzzy window weather striping that's between the sliding side windows on our 1975 Carver Santa Cruz. It's mounted on a thin strip of aluminum and slips in to a channel that's pushed on to the end of the window. It closes the gap between the two windows. I've looked at Owen's Prime Line self adhesive which may work. I was going to post some pictures of what I'm looking for except I couldn't figure out how to do it. Jim

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Window Weather Stripping

Postby km1125 » June 1st, 2020, 3:31 pm

There is a thread on here somewhere that has some links. I just bought a roll of stuff that snaps into the groove in the aluminum. I haven't installed it yet, but some others on here have. If I can find the thread I'll update this post.

EDIT: Yep, here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4335

The last poster has the info. I bought a roll of it last fall and am just starting to get the courage to try and rip the old stuff out so I can put the new stuff in. I searched around with the info that was posted and bought the roll but I'm not sure if I went through Amazon or direct to the retailer... I looked at both but not sure which way I ended up going.

Jangocat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1975 28' Carver Santa Cruz, Flybridge,twin 302 Waukasha inboards, shaft drive

Postby Jangocat » June 4th, 2020, 12:13 am

I tried a MD Marine silicon self adhesive 1/4 inch weatherstrip. Was close but no cigar. I've got a 1/4 inch felt (fuzzy) self adhesive coming. The silicon will allow the windows to slide pass one another but there is a little more resistance than I like. I was able to remove the windows from inside the cabin very easily. I'm very familiar DK Hardware. I just received some aluminum upper and lower sliding door track from them. I'm replacing the sliding doors that went across the back of the transom. They were missing. I had ordered 12' lengths which had to be cut for shipping. I needed 96" and their max cut length was supposedly 95". When I called them with cutting instructions I asked for 96" but would have made 95" work. They cheated and shipped them in 96" length like I needed. I just ordered some of their 1/4" plastic upper track to replace the broken ones for the windows. Jim

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 4th, 2020, 6:45 am

Jangocat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jangocat » June 4th, 2020, 9:09 am

No. Looks more like this
CRL Z78295C Zipper Pile Weatherstrip .270" Backing - .250" Pile Height - 100' Roll
I ordered an Owen Corning product that's self adhesive. I need it to go between the windows where they slide pass each other.

Jangocat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jangocat » June 4th, 2020, 9:10 am

Also how does one post pictures to this group? Jim

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 4th, 2020, 9:53 am

Directly under the quick reply box is ....add files....click that.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”