Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak from transom shield

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Vincent3450
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego

Leak from transom shield

Postby Vincent3450 » June 1st, 2020, 7:46 pm

Hi, I have a 1987 Santego. Just put it in the water for season and after couple of days someone at marina notice it was taking on water and it had it taken out. Water did not reach near top of engine or batteries. Water leaking from transom shield. Will have it pulled and everything checked out. If transom rotting that may be it :-O
Hopefully just change gasket on transom. Boat needs some other work but basically sound and many new parts. Anyone with experience with this or has same boat or just want to say hello (and hope all goes ok). Thanks

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Leak from transom shield

Postby ColRon » June 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm

Is your Santego a 3067 with outdrives?
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2020, 9:30 pm

I'm assuming this is a sterndrive application? If so, what brand? I know many came with Volvo DP but have seen Mercs too.

Vincent3450
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Vincent3450 » June 1st, 2020, 9:38 pm

ColRon wrote:Source of the post Is your Santego a 3067 with outdrives?

I/O sterndrives with mercruisers

Vincent3450
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Vincent3450 » June 1st, 2020, 9:40 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post I'm assuming this is a sterndrive application? If so, what brand? I know many came with Volvo DP but have seen Mercs too.

Mercs

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm

So there are a few places you could be taking on water. Could be from around the transom assembly which usually means a bad transom or through several areas in the transom assembly. On the inside of the transom, there are nuts all around the inner plate of the transom assembly. If you try to tighten those nuts and you actually can and get a couple of turns, chances are you're squeezing a saturated transom. Fingers crossed that's not the issue.

Some of the more common areas for water intrusion are; u-joint or shift cable bellows, gimbal ring upper swivel seal, gear lube fitting if applicable. If the leak is through the u-joint bellows, you want to get it out of the water asap or your u-joints will be sitting in water for a while which is not a good thing and can get pricey if the input shaft assembly has to be replaced due to corrosion.

Is this a salt water application?

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 2nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

Vincent3450, Viper is right on target. Check your baffles. Since you already out and on the hard, shouldn’t be a problem. Do you know when they were last changed? They are a service items. Would also be a good time service the drives while your at it, if they haven’t been serviced recently.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Vincent3450
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Vincent3450 » June 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm

I just had both port and starboard cables, gimbals and bellows, etc replaced and the upper and lower unit from the units which fit into the same port transom shield (sorry don't know exact terminology at moment (I am novice boater).

Bought last year. Was used for 30 years in freshwater on Lake Erie. Bought it mid summer last year, brought to NJ.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 2nd, 2020, 8:36 pm

Do you know if there are muskrats in the marina....they can sink a boat in a hurry if they get at the rubber back there. Leave the drives down.

Second question...you said you just got this boat...did it come with a survey ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 2nd, 2020, 8:37 pm

Are they Bravo drives? If so the steering pin tends to corrode/pit and will need to be replaced as the seal can no longer do it's job. There are after market ones machined of stainless which corrects the issue for good and are actually 4 times cheaper than the carbon steel ones Merc offers. Been there done that. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Stee ... SwLKNbtTqZ
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”