Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water under port engine (where are limber holes??)

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Zwick2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 320 Carver Voyager.

Water under port engine (where are limber holes??)

Postby Zwick2020 » June 15th, 2020, 12:42 pm

I recently bought a 97' 320 Voyager in very good shape. On my first trip to go get it ready I noticed a lot of water (5" +) under the port engine compartment. Since bilge is in center of boat it was not pumping out. I thought maybe there would be a plugged up hole or passage from the 'compartment' holding the water under the port engine but could not find one.. I am confident the water poured in there due to a blocked drain in the deck above causing overflow of rain water runoff directly into the compartment (was MAJOR) rain last week... and there was nowhere for it to go.

I manually pumped the water to the bilge compartment but my question is 'shouldn't the water drain out from under the engine automatically if it fills?" Is there a drain hole between each compartment??

Thanks for any insights you may have.

Jeremy
Last edited by Zwick2020 on June 15th, 2020, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Water under port engine

Postby Midnightsun » June 15th, 2020, 12:53 pm

There definitely should be, they are called limber holes by the way. ;-) Somebody with the same boat will hopefully chime in.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Zwick2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 320 Carver Voyager.

Re: Water under port engine

Postby Zwick2020 » June 15th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Thank you, I could not find the 'limber holes' anywhere in sight even on the starboard side... must be hidden somewhere. Hopefully someone will be able to direct me where to find them.

Jeremy

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Water under port engine (where are limber holes??)

Postby Viper » June 15th, 2020, 9:49 pm

I would expect limber holes for draining out from under the engines in most vessels of that vintage. Many designs now though are doing away with that in order to contain/isolate major oil and fuel spills to the compartment under the engine. In doing so, this prevents such liquids from draining to the center and being pumped overboard by the bilge pump. It's an environmental thing!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » June 16th, 2020, 10:32 am

I do not have any limber holes in the more forward compartment that houses the shower sump. The one time my float switch failed, I had to vacuum the water out with a shop vac. The limber holes that are in the engine compartment are a little high, so I do get some water under the engines when I launch due to packing adjustment. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Omni44
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1998

Postby Omni44 » June 27th, 2020, 1:29 am

We are having the same problem but with our 350 Mariner - ‘98. Have you gotten any other advice? We manually pumped the rising water in the port engine compartment as well. Convinced there must be a drain clogged somewhere but can’t see it anywhere.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm

There aren't any in the port compartment.....water will be trapped forward. If you have the bilge pump forward of the batteries, then perhaps the discharge hose for that pump goes thru the stbd stringer.....chances are they never sealed that well so water in the stbd side drains thru that hose run to the center and can be exhausted by the pump.

The only way for water to get out is, you pump it out, or it runs to the aft and thru the limber hole under the genny and then forward.

Most of the water in there is from the deck plate drains leaking or being plugged and overflowing into the bilge.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Postby rjr » June 27th, 2020, 6:03 pm

I found out the hard way that there are no limber holes in the compartment under the engines. It must be the design Viper mentioned. My water pressure saga (posted here under plumbing) included about 50 gallons of water (up to oil pan) in the compartment under the starboard engine. Lots of bailing to the drain for the bilge pump and later a shop vac, the water was removed.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2020, 6:31 pm

The following applies to the 350 Mariner.

All those things look good on paper engineering wise but don't work as designed in practice.....while the boat is underway all the accumulated water etc runs aft then thru to the center compartment to be pumped out by one or both of the pumps there. The only way it works as by design, if that in fact is what they were going for, is if the boat is sitting static and does not move and the operator pumps out the bilge and disposes of the bilge water in the appropriate manner. The reason for having those oil absorbent pads and drip pans under the engine/trans assemblies IMO.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”