Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Poop/waste coming out starboard vent after flushing, please help!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KazAttack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 370 Voyager

Poop/waste coming out starboard vent after flushing, please help!

Postby KazAttack » June 26th, 2020, 4:00 am

Hi! I’ve been researching all I can to solve my issue. I have a 1998 Carver 370 Vogayer with a Vacuflush system. After flushing the toilet, during its pumping cycle waste/poop comes out of the side vent. The tank looks like it’s empty to 1/4 full. I just purchased the boat and working through troubleshooting but hopefully someone here has some insight. I found out the hard way. Moored on a dock with people sitting next to our boat, flush, then waste all over the dock 2 feet away. :-(

Any ideas on the root cause? I am thinking a clog of some sort ...

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Poop/waste coming out starboard vent after flushing, please help!

Postby Midnightsun » June 26th, 2020, 6:13 am

You must be assessing the tank content wrong as the only way this can happen is if the tank is full to the brim. That being said the vent line may have a filter which is now contaminated and must be changed. The vent line itself should be back flushed for a good while as it will stink. You really need to address the full tank. If you are going by the gauge, forget it as most are fouled and read incorrectly.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 26th, 2020, 6:42 am

I agree with Hans in that the tank may indeed be full. The other possibility is that your vent hose is full of waste from a previous overflow. If the hose isn't routed uphill all the way from the tank to the hull fitting, some will always remain in the hose. When the system pumps waste into the tank, the pressure will force air out the vent. If there is waste in the hose, the waste will be forced out the vent. As Hans mentioned, if there's a filter, you need to replace it but rinse the hose first before installing the new one.

This is a clear indication of how important it is to empty your tank before it's too late. If you're uncertain about the legitimacy of the reading you're getting from the level indicator, get it fixed so this doesn't happen again. An odour coming from the boat every time you flush is embarrassing, waste coming from your boat right next to your neighbours is even worse :-O

Good luck with the repair and keep us posted.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 26th, 2020, 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum......Do you have the OBD....overboard discharge system ?.....someone just went thru this same sort of thing with the "Y" valve settings. Not saying this is it, may just be a full tank as Vacuflush pressurizes the waste tank during its pumping cycle.

In any case get your system pumped out and flushed with fresh water, take your time doing this. Do a quick search here for the thread I am referring to.......good luck.

here.......viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4933
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » June 26th, 2020, 10:06 am

Man, that sounds like a crappy situation. :-D Agree with previous, your tank is full. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
KazAttack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 370 Voyager

Postby KazAttack » June 26th, 2020, 10:45 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I’m going to go today and try to pump out again. @bud27 I do have an OBD system at the holding tank. The valve is turned in off position. Someone said to open this when pumping but I don’t think that’s correct.

To flush the tank with water is it OK to just it a hose into the waste deck fitting then repump?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Adding water to rinse into the pump out port is very common and something most seasoned boaters do all the time myself included. I would try flushing with a lot of fresh water 2 or 3 times while at the pump out station.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 26th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Check your vent line for a filter......if there is none then you can back flush that vent line from the outside while the pumpout suction is on.

If there is a filter, the media will need to be changed if it has gotten wet.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2020, 9:55 am

The first step is to establish which is the waste tank vent line and fittings. Make sure you know the difference between all your vent fittings......waste, water tank, and the most important THE FUEL TANK vent fittings.

Generally, the attendant can hear the air being sucked in thru the vent line while the waste pump is sucking thru the pump out hose/fitting. Also put a paper towel against it, it will pull the towel in. Make sure you know which is the waste tank vent fitting first. This really is anal overkill so to speak.... :-D , so long as there is air being pulled in then you are ok IMO.

If there is a filter then you can't flush it with the filter in place, but you can listen or feel the air being pulled in, that will verify the filter is not plugged.

Before any of this, you really will have to sort out which way the valving for the OBD system needs to be left during pump outs....etc....something I can't help with, never had a boat with a system like that, but I can see how it would screw with things.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”