Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need help with thrusters

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Bradorksy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 30 Santiego

Need help with thrusters

Postby Bradorksy » July 24th, 2020, 10:42 pm

New to this place and i need some help from Carvers owner. Just bought the Carver 30 Santiego yesterday.
Without much experience in that size of boats. Today when i was trying to back in the slip i had a hart time.
Mine number 1 problem was control ,its stiff ,hard to move forward or back and finding natural its a challenge.
Now is the question , is there anything i can do to make that shifter running smooth or that the way is should be?
Plus the starboard engine before it goes in to reverse i have to reve it up the RPM ,so it makes nice challenge
for someone like me to back in the slip . Any help for me ? Or just have to learn hard way to do it?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Need help with thrusters

Postby tomschauer » July 24th, 2020, 11:19 pm

It should be smooth. Sounds like its time for new throttle and shift cables.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 25th, 2020, 9:23 am

Yep, should be smooth and no challenge to find neutral. Revving up an engine to get into reverse is not normal either. Needs a bit of works as mentioned and after it is just experience backing into a slip. Your title asked about thrusters? I would hold off on this until you have items corrected and are familiar with the operation of your boat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum.....sounds like you may be in need of some serious TLC, cable set up and lube, maybe engine tuning......when all is smooth it is a great sight easier and safer to dock your boat for you and your dock mates.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Bradorksy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bradorksy » July 25th, 2020, 10:25 am

From the replays here i know already that there is a problem with that throttle and shift cables. Everything is stiff ,hard to move . Even steering wheel . Boat was parked for few years before I bought it so that didn't help . Any idea if that's a big job to change this throttle and shift cables? Wonder if i can do it my self.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 25th, 2020, 10:40 am

Does this boat have outdrives ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 25th, 2020, 11:01 am

I suspect we might in fact be dealing with Sterndrives. If that's the case, there may be a lot more going on than just the shifter control and cables. What brand is the engines and sterndrives if that's what you have? I know they used a lot of early model Volvos but could also be Mercruisers.

Does the engine stall if you shift into reverse without increasing throttle? What is your idle rpm set at?

Increasing throttle to shift is not the right answer and will cause damage to a transmission or sterndrive.

Topic author Canada
Bradorksy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bradorksy » July 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Yes its I/O Bravo 1 i think with mercruiser 5.7 Idle rpm is around 600-700.
Thats the whole package im worry about , incrising RPM dont sound so good to me too.
Port side engine shifin to revers without any problems( not counting stiffness ) but starbord needs more RPM to engage in to gear. I guess i have 2 problems, or one bigger one .

Topic author Canada
Bradorksy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bradorksy » July 25th, 2020, 1:42 pm

No engine dont stall when shift into reverse without increasing throttle. Thsts not a case here

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 26th, 2020, 10:15 am

Need to know exactly which model Sterndrive you have as Bravo and Alpha are very different in the way they shift. Are you sure it's a Bravo 1? The first thing to check is ensuring the gear lube is at the proper level AND that you're using the correct type, it should be green fluid.

You mentioned that everything is stiff to shift, that can be the control at the helm, the upper shift cable, the lower shift cable or all of them. If it is indeed a Bravo, your clutch may need replacing as requiring higher rpm to engage the gear is a symptom of a worn clutch, wrong oil, incorrectly adjusted shift cable setting, etc. When you increase rpm to shift and it finally goes into gear, will it stay in gear when you bring throttle back to idle?

Bradorksy wrote:Source of the post....mercruiser 5.7 Idle rpm is around 600-700....
I suspect this is not an EFI application but is that idle rpm in neutral or in gear? If that number is in neutral, what happens to idle rpm when you put it in gear and the drive engages?

What year is the boat?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”