Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need help with thrusters

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Need help with thrusters

Postby Viper » July 28th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Hans, I don't think that unit is OEM. I wouldn't use it if that's the case. I've replaced a lot of them and the only ones I've ever had issues with have been aftermarket. It's a good example of what to look for though but I'd get the kit that includes the bellows as chances are it'll get wrecked in the process anyway. Having said that, once the drive is off, I'd check everything as you may need a complete bellows/transom assembly job.

Topic author Canada
Bradorksy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 30 Santiego

Postby Bradorksy » August 2nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

Had a mechanic check it out . He play with cables and said the same thing that lower shift cable most likely has to be change . Probably will try to do it next week and see if its getting any better .

Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Postby PossiblyPaul » September 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm

I hope I'm not complicating the issue but have had reports from Son (who drives) that one of the throttles is impossibly hard to move, and neither actually respond in parallel. Onsite advice from a sage engineer on my pontoon is that grease on the cable isn't enough; there's likely to be a kink in that cable (possibly from a stray bootprint) under the sole, and if a trace of the cable doesn't find and correct it, then a new cable is most likely needed; a thirty-two year old boat is very likely to have bootprints all over it. I'll be doing a trace in the morning, and hopefully find the problem.

I'm told that old cable construction was very different to recent developments, in that it's now far more flexible and resistant to force; previous designs demanded very straight, very inflexible throughput, but now the technology is such that cables such as this can be far more bendy. But no more resistant to boots.

Having two helms doesn't half complicate matters, though. Tch.
Funga Safari

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”