Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Strataglass cleaning

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Strataglass cleaning

Postby jsurfwhite » July 27th, 2020, 11:57 am

My Strataglass vinyl windows are almost 4 years old. My detailer cleans, polishes them 3 times per year. They are starting to haze. I worked on 1 yesterday with the Strataglass cleaner and polish. Some improvement. Any suggestions to reverse the haze? Thanks

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Strataglass cleaning

Postby Cooler » July 27th, 2020, 12:06 pm

First, make sure you are using only the Imar product for strataglass. Previous owner used Plexus and that did leave a haze. I use the Imar cleaner. The haze lessened with each application to acceptable. Not like new but not hazy. Use a soft microfiber cloth to clean and then polish off any excess. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » July 27th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Try lemon pledge and clean microfiber cloth. Pledge has no harsh chemicals or abrasives and does a nice job of cleaning. Detailers often use products that can damage the clear vinyl over time. Some chemicals will also harden the plastic and make it crack sooner. Bottom line - be careful!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
aloysius
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406

Postby aloysius » July 27th, 2020, 4:32 pm

I just had Cooper's Canvas in Saint Augustine FL replace all my vinyl windows. They and the crew who installed the windows said IMAR cleaner and use very clean microfiber cloths. They said that they might use 7-10 clean cloths on a boat the size of my 43' Carver 406. The guy cleaning mine, following the install work, said besides microfiber, also Viva paper towels because they are softer than other brands.
I myself would lean towards good microfiber cloths. A brand named "E-cloths" are what I have and love the way they clean normal glass and mirrors.

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Postby jsurfwhite » July 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am using Imar cleaner and polish. I saw some improvement with microfiber cloths. I will expand that practice to the rest of the glass.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 27th, 2020, 11:40 pm

When I clean mine, which is not often enough, I start with a bit of dawn in water and clean using a lambs wool wrap on my extendable brush handle to get the dirt off. Then the Imar cleaner and then the Imar polish, both with micro fiber cloths. Mine clear is four years old and no fogging so far.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”