Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hynautic Steering

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Hynautic Steering

Postby mjk1040 » July 27th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Every now had then my steering seems to get hard. I have checked and filled the fluid at the helm and turned the steering wheel all the way port and starboard several times. Seems fine, but every now and then while underway the steering seems to get hard, but still steers, but with some resistance. Going to crawl into the aft night stand cabinet and try to spray lube on all the pivot points, this will be fun! LOL!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Hynautic Steering

Postby Cooler » July 27th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Mike, I had that same issue with my Hynautic. I did not do anything about it, wasn't too annoying. But then, a couple weeks ago hydraulic fluid started leaking from the helm. It started small but got worse fast. Too messy to keep adding more fluid. You may be experiencing symptoms of the pump on it's last legs. They can be rebuilt, but I ordered a new Seastar replacement. Still trying to find someone to install. The rebuild kit is pretty cheap, but then someone has to install. Be careful! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 27th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Could be a number of things. Certainly lube everything, and the pump is a possibility but another possibility is that the actuator is failing/binding internally. If your actuator has bleeders on it, get someone to turn the wheel while you crack the bleeders and see if you get a steady stream of fluid. Also check while someone turns the wheel that the actuator is extending and retracting smoothly without a jerking motion.

Do you have an autopilot?

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » July 28th, 2020, 10:29 am

The older Hynautic systems are very different from the SeaStar setup and use a pressurized reservoir. It's usually somewhere in the engine area and has a little pressure gauge on it. Make sure the fluid level is OK, and you may need to add some pressure using a bicycle pump or small air compressor. Don't over-pressurize - just pressurize it to mid-scale on the gauge that is on the reservoir. You can use any good hydraulic oil such as the SeaStar oil or even aviation grade (believe it or not, it's cheaper if you've got a little airport nearby). Don't use ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil or something like that - stick with hydraulic oil. Good luck! :captain2:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 28th, 2020, 8:13 pm

No auto pilot, don't recall any bleeders on the actuator and no pressurized reservoir either to my knowledge, at least I have not seen it anywhere on this 1998 355 AC/MY. It does not seem to be a jerking issue, but rather just a harder steering and it doesn't happen all the time and it seems to only happen while underway!.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 28th, 2020, 9:18 pm

If it's not one of the things already mentioned, the other possibility is a hydraulic system's worst enemy; water or some other contamination. It'll circulate through the system all working seemingly fine until the contamination reaches a small port and impedes operation. Once it finally passes, all is fine again until the contamination makes it's way to a spot again that affects operation.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”