Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

32 Aftcabin water under floor of aftcabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin

Re: 32 Aftcabin water under floor of aftcabin

Postby emunstar » August 12th, 2020, 9:21 am

bud37,

I haven’t felt all around the exhaust hoses but a visual inspection in that area showed no signs of wetness.

I have in hull transducers so no joy there.

The engine compartment has water as well but there seems to be no path for the water in the engine compartment to interact with the water in the aft cabin.

Pumping either the aft cabin volume or the engine compartment volume has no affect on the other.

I am not aware of any houses routed through stringers.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

If he actually looked at the rudder stuffing boxes it would be easy to tell if there were any leaks there, as it would be pretty obvious especially if you're talking GALLONS that are getting through.

Anything that goes through the hull is suspect at this point. I believe that model is straight shafts with a pair of struts. You should be able to find a hatch or something that exposes the bolts for the struts. I would check those too. That would address water in the aft cabin but not the engine compartment.

What about trim tabs? You probably have them. Did you check the row of screws at the bottom? Usually they're just screwed into the transom and poke all the way though, so they need to be sealed. If not sealed, or one or more is missing, that could be a source of water.

There are also the two exhaust exits in the transom on both the port and starboard sides.

United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby emunstar » August 12th, 2020, 2:57 pm

km1125,

I can't verify the extent to which the mechanic inspected the rudder stuffing boxes but he didn't seem concerned for them.

He didn't inspect the starboard strut mount location but did mention a need to look it over while on the phone. As far as I can tell any water coming from rudder packings, exhaust, and struts would be directed aft, I haven't seen evidence of any limber holes in the inboard stringers that would allow drainage under the floor of the aft cabin.

Seems as of now I'm on my own (besides the assistance of you fine forum folks). The mechanic has told me I'm doing the same things he would be doing to trace the leak, and my attempts to get another expert down to check it out are fruitless so far.

Here is a photo of the water intrusion. I have since opened a much larger section of floor. This is representative of the level the water stays at, and the level it reaches about 3hrs after pumping it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby emunstar » August 12th, 2020, 10:42 pm

We have a source! I repeat, I have found the source of my leak. The water is coming in from the starboard strut plate. I was able to capture it on video..... Now for the giant repair bill......

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 12th, 2020, 11:19 pm

If it's the bolts on the strut plate, it shouldn't cost that much to repair. I would think the haul-out would be the bulk of the cost.

However, that is probably determined by how someone goes about solving the problem. If you have to pull the prop and the shaft, remove the strut, replace the strut and bolts (with sealant) and then put it all back together and align the engine, I guess that could add up quickly.

Any vibrations while you run the boat? Any indication that it might have struck something previously and they fixed the prop and (maybe) shaft and didn't fix the strut?

United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby emunstar » August 13th, 2020, 3:27 pm

km1125,

I'm tempted to put a wrench on the bolts and see if they have some play. There were no reports of impact damage or signs there of during the survey but anything is possible.

As for now I have an appointment to have the strut re-bedded on Tuesday, and it will run between $1000-$1200 per the shipyards estimate. Add another $1000 to do both cutless bearings while they are at it.

United States of America
mhanch
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver Voyager 374
Twin Gas Mercruiser 8.1L Horizon engines (2007 Repower)

Postby mhanch » August 13th, 2020, 4:12 pm

not fun - but cheaper than a sinking.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 13th, 2020, 4:18 pm

emunstar wrote:Source of the post
As for now I have an appointment to have the strut re-bedded on Tuesday, and it will run between $1000-$1200 per the shipyards estimate. Add another $1000 to do both cutless bearings while they are at it.

Actually sounds reasonable so long as done correctly and there are non of those " well, as long as we are in here " conversations.... :-D

Now are you sure you did not hit something on the trip home, as I am sure your surveyor would have found a leak like that around a major piece like a strut support......good luck going forward.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 13th, 2020, 4:44 pm

emunstar wrote:Source of the post km1125,
I'm tempted to put a wrench on the bolts and see if they have some play.

I would. Worst case you end up snapping one off. Just keep a plug or two about the same diameter as the bolts handy just in case. You still want to get it rebedded and fixed for good, but you may cut the leakage quite a bit until it gets hauled.

United States of America
emunstar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby emunstar » August 13th, 2020, 9:08 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
emunstar wrote:Source of the post

Actually sounds reasonable so long as done correctly and there are non of those " well, as long as we are in here " conversations.... :-D

Now are you sure you did not hit something on the trip home, as I am sure your surveyor would have found a leak like that around a major piece like a strut support......good luck going forward.

I thought it was reasonable as well. Cutless bearings may be something extra while its out as they are nearing the end of their service life.

As for hitting anything, definitely not. This condition reared its head a few days after the survey. I asked my broker for permission to take some exhaust component measurements since we signed the vessel acceptance. He spoke to the owner and arranged permission to do so. Thats when I discovered the aft cabin carpet to be soaked and started a few weeks of really sticky situations, severe feet dragging, and eventual hand washing of the issue by all but me, who had almost $5,000 at stake between mechanical inspections, haul out, and marine survey.

Long story long, the survey already noted faulty float switches on the forward and aft bilge pumps and I, along with my mechanic incorrectly assumed repair of the pumps was the answer. It wasn't until it soaked the aft cabin carpet again while officially mine that I was able to rip out carpet and pull up floor to find to be greeted with a significant volume filled with water and finally narrow in on the root cause.

Many thanks to all on the forum who have taken the time to respond with suggestions. Soon I'll be able to put my aft cabin back together and get back to the cleaning, tune ups and cosmetic stuff.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”