Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Horn Advice

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Horn Advice

Postby Midnightsun » August 18th, 2020, 6:08 am

My dual electric trumpets bit the bullet. :-( This spring they started sounding squeeky so to say and now they quit all together. Is it worth trying to repair them, are they servicable or should I just replace with new. New set is about $100.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07436RR8J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Horn Advice

Postby bud37 » August 18th, 2020, 7:18 am

If you get a lot of fog out your way consider an automatic sounding system with a serious horn attached. It will be more than 100.00... :-O ....but you will be more than obvious if caught out.
If the back will come off they can be messed with, small adjusting screw, or spray contact cleaner with lube in trumpet end. They used to come apart but who knows with the newer stuff.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 18th, 2020, 7:37 am

No fog here, maybe a few times a year at best but it dissipates when the sun comes up. Had triple train horns on my previous boat with seperate compressor and tank. Had to block my ears and warn others on board I was going to let her rip. :-D Was obviously too loud. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 18th, 2020, 10:00 am

They are almost always repairable. Look at the back of the horn and see if there's a single screw in the middle. It's usually covered by a sticker. When you take that screw off, you can remove the "bell" cover on the back. Sometimes that cover is stuck though. Once I got the screw out but couldn't get the cover off. I pried and pried, trying not to damage it. I took a break and went and started doing other things on the boat. At some point I heard a 'ding, ding, ding, splash", which I thought was weird but it ended up being the cap that popped off and bounced on various parts of the boat before it went in the drink.

That exposed the guts though, so all I did was change the adjusting screw and bit and the horn came back to life. There are little contacts you can see in there that can be cleaned, but just judicious periodic use of the horn will keep them clean too. So I make a habit of testing the horn every time we're out cruising around.

Years later I had a diver friend go into the slip to find my dock neighbor's watch that he dropped. The diver actually found the missing horn part as well as a canvas salon window cover that had blown off years prior, as well as many other 'interesting" finds. That was ~15 years ago and I'm still using the same horns.

That said, I'll also say that you should check all the connections too for corrosion. Horns need a burst of current right at the start to work and if they don't see that they won't work. If the switch contacts are corroded (internally) it can do the same thing. If you can get to the wiring right at the horn you can apply voltage right there from a portable power source (like a jump box) to see if that could be the issue.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Personally I like the idea of your previous boats triple trumpet with compressed air!
I like a loud horn so that when its needed, I will be noticed! Hey...gotta love sounding like the Queen Mary!
I purchased a dual trumpet electric (would have used air but the install would be a pain) with the highest db rating I could find. I think its probably worth purchasing new because you will not be replacing it any time soon.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Train horn like at hockey games. :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm

May need to go with one of these. :drunk: Plenty of room to mount the 37" horn and under the dash is an easy install for the compressor/tank. There is a listen to the horn button on the link. :-D

https://hornblasters.com/products/hornb ... ug-37-127v
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Personally I like the idea of your previous boats triple trumpet with compressed air!
I like a loud horn so that when its needed, I will be noticed! Hey...gotta love sounding like the Queen Mary!
I purchased a dual trumpet electric (would have used air but the install would be a pain) with the highest db rating I could find. I think its probably worth purchasing new because you will not be replacing it any time soon.

One of the cool features on compressed air horns is that they actually start softer than an electric horn. Takes a few cycles to get up to full volume vs an electric that's immediate. The timing of that ramp-up can also be turned by where you put the air solenoid (farther from the horn = more ramp up time)

A friend of mine had a Sea Ray 48 Sedan Bridge. The PO had upgraded the old electric with an airhorn with 5 horns. It sounded very nice and approached "cruise ship" horn status.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » August 18th, 2020, 6:22 pm

A pair of Kahlenbergh D2.
Say no more....
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » August 18th, 2020, 8:21 pm

My boat came with dual air horns and the only reason they didn't work was because spiders had laid so many nests in them over the years that they were jammed full of spider cotton. A quick rinse out and I was back in business, although it took a few tries to get the horns properly seated against the diaphragm.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”