Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Throttle cables - clean and oil or replace?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Throttle cables - clean and oil or replace?

Postby PossiblyPaul » September 5th, 2020, 4:31 pm

This subject may have been dealt with previously, but my 'searching' skills are poor, so forgive me if it's a repeat.
My throttle cables are very difficult, and one is not responding well at all; advice from the sages at my marina is to replace them, but I tend to think that they have not been maintained during the past few years, and a search on t'Internet popped these devices up:
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
The last one is labelled a 'Hydraulic Cable Oiler', and appears to be a more heavy-duty item than the others.

Are these of any use on a boat such as a Carver 2827, for the various control cables? They seem to be made more for the motorcycle user, whose cables are very much shorter than those from my bridge down to the engines. I don't want to remove the cables either, other than to release from the control points - is that feasible? Grateful for any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Funga Safari

Topic author Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Re: Throttle cables - clean and oil or replace?

Postby PossiblyPaul » September 5th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Relocated to a more appropriate forum: General Repairs and Maintenance.
Funga Safari

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”