Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windows

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Windows

Postby Grafunkus » September 6th, 2020, 10:16 pm

We just spent our first couple of night on our new 1985 3607 aft cabin boat. Closed up earlier than expected because the winds today were gusting to 90 km/hr. Noticed that I was able to put my pinky finger through an opening at the top of the windows in the salon area. They all seemed to be closed properly and nothing seemed to be missing. Is this normal? Basically it means that there is always an opening to the elements and depending on how any rain might fall, the interior will get wet.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Windows

Postby g36 » September 7th, 2020, 9:00 am

may be alignment or weather stripping that has shrunk over the years . I would say that gap is probably not normal but having the boat window and doors tight like a house would also be most difficult.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 7th, 2020, 9:08 am

Ya seems odd. Check the channel too, maybe a chunk is missing. I’ve seen rear bottom window corners cut away intentionally on older vintages for drainage but never at the top.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » September 7th, 2020, 9:13 am

Will check all that. I will also take a photo to post for reference. Heading back up on Wed. Can anyone post a picture of what they are supposed to look like, please!!! It would be much easier to figure out what should be there.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 7th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Are you talking about the sliding windows on the sides? If so, then no there should be no gap. They seal up pretty tight except right in the corners where some spiders can sneak through (but you can't see it as it's inside the frame).

I think I put some pictures in the project forum when I redid my "felts" around the window edges. If not, I can take some pics and show you.

Look at the bottom of the channel when you have the window open. There should be a plastic "spine" that the window rides on. If that was pulled out, the window would probably drop 1/4" or so and you might get a gap at the top.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » September 8th, 2020, 8:40 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Are you talking about the sliding windows on the sides? If so, then no there should be no gap. They seal up pretty tight except right in the corners where some spiders can sneak through (but you can't see it as it's inside the frame).

I think I put some pictures in the project forum when I redid my "felts" around the window edges. If not, I can take some pics and show you.

Look at the bottom of the channel when you have the window open. There should be a plastic "spine" that the window rides on. If that was pulled out, the window would probably drop 1/4" or so and you might get a gap at the top.

Thanks for the info. I am talking about the sliding windows on the sides. We just thought this was a "Carver" thing because it was similar on our Mariner.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » September 9th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Well, here are pictures of the windows. Looks like the weather stripping has shrunk over the years. Will fix once it is in winter storage. Will just put some flex seal rape over them for now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 9th, 2020, 4:35 pm

OH, that gap. I thought you meant the actual window. Yes, mine is pretty much the same way. I've never had rain come in and we've weathered some pretty good monsoons. If you find a replacement for that weatherstripping, make sure you post it on here.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » September 9th, 2020, 5:43 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post OH, that gap. I thought you meant the actual window. Yes, mine is pretty much the same way. I've never had rain come in and we've weathered some pretty good monsoons. If you find a replacement for that weatherstripping, make sure you post it on here.

Alrighty then, we will be on a hunt!!! Let you know how it goes.

United States of America
Superg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in Lake St. Clair, MI

Postby Superg » September 11th, 2020, 8:51 am

FYI, I have the same issue. Grand entryway for spiders. I have contacted Taylor and they are trying to identify the part. Will post with their reply and hopefully a part number! Seems this is a problem on all carvers of that era.
John T.
New Boat Owner (so lots to learn)
1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in St Clair Shores, MI

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”