Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Canvas repair

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Canvas repair

Postby Grafunkus » September 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Arrived on board after a couple of days away. We left on Sunday when the winds we expected to gust up to 90 km. On the other side of the lake it hit 102km. Anyhow, upper canvas got ripped. Suggestions for repair work. I was thinking of just a patch that is wider than the current piece. Also was there anyway to prevent?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Re: Canvas repair

Postby chpsk8 » September 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Assuming you have access to a sewing machine here..

I would take some basting tape and put the piece right back on the seam using the tape, then run a zigzag stitch along it. The tape will help waterproof the seam, and the zigzag stitch will give it some strength.
It looks like the thread that was used is getting towards the end of its life. How does the rest of the canvas look?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 9th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Have someone install a zipper on there. It makes it much easier to take it off and clean and re-waterproof it once in a while. I had someone do mine a few years ago.

EDIT... OOPS.. looking closer at the pic, looks like there is already a zipper near there!

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » September 9th, 2020, 5:40 pm

chpsk8 wrote:Source of the post Assuming you have access to a sewing machine here..

I would take some basting tape and put the piece right back on the seam using the tape, then run a zigzag stitch along it. The tape will help waterproof the seam, and the zigzag stitch will give it some strength.
It looks like the thread that was used is getting towards the end of its life. How does the rest of the canvas look?

I like this option - a little less work, hopefully!!! The rest of the canvas looks okay. Hopefully a few more years before we need to replace.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » September 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Use Tenara teflon thread, polyester thread eventually breaks down in the sun.

United States of America
kamakazerc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: proud new owners of a 1988 3607 aft cabin,as of august 2018, and still have at this time our 1980 mariner 2896

Postby kamakazerc » October 14th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Hi all... We'll Scurvy Dog,. Looks like you've got a simple issue, like Deckhand mentioned , as long as you have a machine, and aren't afraid to dive in. I had bought my 1988 , 3607 a couple years ago, and after finding out what it would cost to hire the repair, I went and bought an old singer direct drive 1591, and proceeded to learn to see and dove in. Initially, I was just going to do a couple repairs, and replace the front panels of Isinglass, so I could see out the front better. We'll, on thing led to another.... And I actually enjoyed the challenge.... And ended up doing many repairs, and replacing all "29" panels of Isinglass.
Ended up turning out really well for an amateur .
My best info was watching Sailrite videos on YouTube. I spent only about $600 on sewing machine, and materials, copaired to approx $6000-$8000 , if I would have hired it out.
I may attempt to build a new Bimini top this winter or next, just because I enjoyed the challenge.
So go for it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 14th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I've also learned to sew with help of sailrite.. I purchased one of their machines about 10 yrs ago. I have made several things including redoing the interior softgoods and curtains and reupholstering the carver barrel chair in my 405. Its a great feeling but I don't know if I would make my living at this, although there's plenty of money to be made.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
kamakazerc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: proud new owners of a 1988 3607 aft cabin,as of august 2018, and still have at this time our 1980 mariner 2896

Postby kamakazerc » October 14th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Oh so very true!!! Now that you mention it, our barrel chair is probably next on our list.!!!.
And actually I was thinking of doing small repairs around my area, after I retire. Sure would take a little of the hurt away hen topping of the tanks four or five times a season.......LOL

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 19th, 2020, 3:39 am

Nice job and the fact you did the work yourself is priceless. A great sense of accomplishment is something I would think you felt also.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 19th, 2020, 12:07 pm

There was nothing you could have done to prevent that. The stitching, while UV protected and pretty durable, does dry out & rot after a number of years. Should be a relatively easy repair, and the reseal with 303 fabric sealer/protectant. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”