Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1997 355 Aft Cabin aux tank

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Re: 1997 355 Aft Cabin aux tank

Postby chpsk8 » September 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm

My fuel panel has a source selection and a return selection. I don't use my aux tank, but wondered if I could use it as the source, but return the unused fuel to a side tank so it would drain to empty faster at the end of the season. My boat looks like it could benefit from a full aux tank the way it's ballasted, but I don't really want to try using it. Sounds like it hasn't been used in years. I was thinking of pressurizing it with air to see if I could detect any leaks. Then run a long bore camera into it... then I cracked another beer and looked around at all the other crazy projects I have on the list and...squirrel!!

Topic author United States of America
True-North
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 355 Aft Cabin, lower helm station, Crusader 454 XLi engines, owner since 2007.

Postby True-North » September 15th, 2020, 5:57 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post When it's comes to the aft aux tank, either completely empty it or use it on a regular basis. What I do, if I take a trip, that will use, say 100 gallons, I run both engines off the aux tank to get there and use the saddle tanks to get home. Doing it this way, I quickly use up gas in the aft tank which lightens the weight in the butt end of the boat.

That is exactly my intent-use it very regularly. After removing the check valves, one had some build-up in it and the other was clean. It turns out the reason neither engine would run on the tank was because it was empty. :banghead: Stuck fuel sending unit float. All cleaned and ready to fill the tank again to see what happens!

True-North
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 355 Aft Cabin, lower helm station, Crusader 454 XLi engines, owner since 2007.

Postby True-North » September 15th, 2020, 6:05 pm

My plan is to use this tank regularly, so I completely agree with you, buster53. Turns out my problem was an empty tank, not clogged fuel lines/check valves. A stuck fuel sending unit float was the issue. However, there was some gunk in one of the check valves, so it was worth going through everything. I will fill the tank AGAIN tomorrow and run both engines off it and report back.

Thanks everyone!

True-North
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby True-North » September 29th, 2020, 10:15 am

Okay, new fuel tank sending unit installed, fuel tank filled back up and currently used 1/4 of it without issues. I think the Star Bright Star Tron Enzyme treatment did the trick. Hurray! Just in time to put it away for the winter.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”