Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bilge Blower

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Rayjs148
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Bilge Blower

Postby Rayjs148 » September 21st, 2020, 9:42 pm

Hi, looking for advice on how many bilge blowers should i have on my 1995 Carver Santego 310. There is only 1 and it is not connected to any vent ducting .I am thinking there should be 1 for each engine. If only 1 is required should it vent out the port or starboard side vents.Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bilge Blower

Postby bud37 » September 21st, 2020, 10:31 pm

Have a look at this parts schematic for a Santego..I know it is a 96 but is it like yours....page 15-2

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... ual_96.pdf

edit ...fixed the link
Last edited by bud37 on September 22nd, 2020, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 21st, 2020, 11:03 pm

You should have at least one and it should be ducted to the vents on the side of your boat.
One side vent should be to allow air into the bilge / engine room and the other for blower exhaust. I don't believe their is a requirement for which side is which.
The coast guard has requirements for how many cfm's per cubic ft, and one blower minimum is required for each "isolated" engine or equipment compartment, but without looking up the specs, I would bet only one is required for your 31, so long as it is ducted to the lowest point in the engine room on the intake side and ducted to vent outside the boat on the discharge you should be good.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 22nd, 2020, 9:15 am

Look at the engine room vents from the outside of the boat. One side will be facing forward, pulling air into the engine compartment and one side will be facing aft, allowing air to flow out of the engine compartment. The side that has the ones facing aft would be the same side the blower hoses should be attached to.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am

When you get that venting hose, make sure to use marine specific, not dryer hose from the local hardware store. The marine hose looks and feels similar, but will last a long time. I was always under the impression there needs to be one blower for each engine, but Tom would know better than me. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 22nd, 2020, 12:02 pm

even if you only find 1 you could always add another
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Rayjs148
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Rayjs148 » September 22nd, 2020, 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies ,found the piping layout and blower specs in the parts manual.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 23rd, 2020, 6:47 am

Regulations may have been only one blower required at the time of manufacturing but the new standard in most jurisdictions is one per engine now. You would think that the way the vessel was outfitted according to the regulations at the time of the build would be grandfathered in otherwise you could be changing things over the course of the boat's lifetime. When it comes to safety items though like blowers, GFI outlets, etc. if a surveyor notes the deficiency, usually insurance companies will demand these be addressed by adding another blower on a twin engine application and installing GFI outlets when none exist. At least that's been my experience as I've been asked to install several after surveys were done as demanded by insurers.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 23rd, 2020, 10:09 am

My 95 has 2 blowers, and GFI outlets. The Santego engine room is similar to the Mariner's so I would think it was originally set up the same way. Good luck! Great boat! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 23rd, 2020, 12:31 pm

Powered Ventilation
FEDERAL LAW:
183.610 Powered ventilation system.
(a) Each compartment in a boat that has a permanently installed gasoline
engine with a cranking motor must:
(1) Be open to the atmosphere, or
(2) Be ventilated by an exhaust blower system.
Permanently installed with regard to an engine means that it is securely fastened to the boat’s structure
and the necessary wiring, piping and controls are connected and secured to the boat in accordance with
the applicable USCG regulations. See Title 33 CFR Part 183, Subpart I, Electrical Systems and Title 33 CFR
Part 183, Subpart J, Fuel Systems. The use of the term “permanently installed” is to highlight that the
engine is not portable or easily removed from the boat and to differentiate it from “portable equipment”.
The term gasoline engine with a cranking motor is used to indicate that the gasoline engine can be
started from a location that is remote from the compartment where it is permanently installed. An engine
without a cranking motor (starter) requires the presence of a person at the engine location in order to
start the engine. Presumably, any dangerous conditions such as liquid fuel or vapors being present at the
engine location would be detected by odor and/or sight and remedied before the engine is started.
This section of the regulation addresses boats that have a permanently installed engine with a
cranking motor in a compartment. To comply with the regulation one of the following alternatives
must be satisfied:
1. The compartment must be open to the atmosphere, as defined in 183.605.
2. There must be an exhaust blower system installed to ventilate the compartment in which
the engine is installed. An exhaust blower system consists of one or more blowers with
ductwork and terminal fittings attached to the ducts.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”