Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Polish & waxing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Polish & waxing

Postby Grafunkus » October 2nd, 2020, 8:14 am

We plan to do a thorough polish/wax in the off season on our new to us boat. Not sure when it was last done. Probably using the McGuire's three step process, but willing to look at other suggestions. Logistically, how do you actually work on the boat when it is way above your head? Do you rent scaffolding? Just go up and down a ladder? Also, how do you mark where you have worked when the boat is white and the compound/wax is white??

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Polish & waxing

Postby buster53 » October 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

As far as getting up higher, I bought a simple aluminum bench from the hardware store. A little over 3' long, about 19" high with folding legs. Works great, but if you are on the short side, it may not get you high enough. Beats the heck out of using a ladder.
How to mark where you have already waxed? Most of the time, it is obvious, but if not, use "landmarks" on the boat...stantions, portholes, thruhulls on the side of the boat, etc. If you have the same bench, do the 3' you have access to and then move your bench to the next section.
It doesn't take long to figure these things out.

Edit....I took a look at Home Depot and they have a number of these benches in various sizes and heights, most under $100. I'm sure you can find one that would be a good fit for your needs. I bought mine specifically to use on my boat, but I have found it is really handy to have around the house.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » October 2nd, 2020, 9:52 am

I also use a little bench like that. You see drywallers use them quite a bit.
Your tools are going to be the difference between it really working and just getting frustrated. It's a lot of glass to polish, so you want to do it right.
My boat was ROUGH when I bought it. Here's a post that has some polishing results.
https://www.carveryachtowners.com/viewtopic.php?p=29010#p29010

I use a 3M wool bonnet on a rotary polisher.
Mine was so rough that a lot of it had to be wet sanded with 1500 grit.
Aquabuff compound was my step. It's a compound that cuts through the scratches and oxidation.
Last step is Meguires flagship wax. That should last a season if the UV isn't super strong by you.

Now that mine is much better/shinier I've changed my process a little. I use a finishing glaze between the aquabuff and the wax to give it a little more pop. My goal by spring of next year is to have it so glossy you can stand on the dock and see your full reflection. We're getting there.

Good luck, if you buy a rotary buffer (you should) get one that's light, it's a lot of overhead work.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am

I've always liked meguires stuff and on the boat i used a rotary with their M105, then #7 ,polish, and hand did the yellow wax 26. For me it worked great
As stated you definitely won't have any problems seeing what you have just buffed. You'll be amazed and what this hard work will do for your boat.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 2nd, 2020, 10:58 am

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 2nd, 2020, 11:10 am

I use small pieces of tape to establish my sections. Blue painters tape. The process you use, is based on how much oxidation you really have. Here is a one step, multiple polish process I used last spring. My storage neighbors were shocked at how nice my 95 gelcoat looked. Had several slip neighbors over the season stop by and asked how I got that original color/shine back. Used Mequiar's Cleaner/Wax, premium level, black bottle. About $32 for 32 oz bottle. One bottle will be enough. Tape off 4ft sections. Clean the loose dirt off with any wash soap. Apply a coat of cleaner wax. in about 15 min, the product will dry a bit, but still look a little greasy. Go over that again, buffing into the gelcoat, until you can't see any remaining haze. Let dry for an hour. You will see the white chalk finish you would expect too see. Then, remove that, with a clean pad and maybe a different dry buffer. The finish will be nice, but then apply Mequiar's pure wax over that. At that point it is easy to apply wax. The results come from 2 key factors - that 2nd pass over initial application, and clean fresh pads changed often. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 2nd, 2020, 11:58 am

I agree with, tape marking manageable sections method and I have one of those aluminium benches. Between that and ladders it will be fine, but still very hard work to get right as there really is no magic in a bottle with this, just good equipment, technique and supplies.

I hired it out the last two times and it was well worth it for the hull, considerable damage to the gel can take place if done wrong and consider the gel is only so thick so go carefully with compounds and wet sand if this is what you choose to try.....just a caveat from me, as always my opinion......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”