Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bow Thruster Started up on its own!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Cricket
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Bow Thruster Started up on its own!

Postby Cricket » October 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a 2003 530 Voyager. I live on the boat on and off. A couple weeks ago I was awoken in the middle of the night to the bow thruster running. It is a Volvo Penta BP1200 (24v). I rushed to the helm and tried reversing direction and deactivating the station. I also went to the upper helm and repeated this. No effect! I continued to fiddle and it would stop for a second when I reversed direction, then start up on its own again. After a couple minutes it stopped on its own and did not repeat this through the rest of the night. Later, I flipped the master switch in the engine room to be sure there was no repeat performance. This could have been a disaster if I hadn't been on the boat.

Question: what might have caused this malfunction? This could have been really serious if it had happened while docking. The relay? The joystick (rocker)? A loose wire? LoL. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Bow Thruster Started up on its own!

Postby Midnightsun » October 3rd, 2020, 7:15 am

Thruster starting up on its own at dock in total calm while you were sleeping is really going to be a mystery. Do you have a remote control for the thrusters?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Cricket
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Postby Cricket » October 3rd, 2020, 7:40 pm

Interference with a remote also occurred to me. A pule from someone's radar perhaps? But as best I can tell the bow thruster is hard wired. But I will check further. I am back on the boat for a few days and will leave them on to see if there is a repeat performance.

Apparently, a neighbors Hatteras 74 did the same thing a few weeks earlier.

United States of America
Icango560
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Voyager 560, 675 Volvo’s.

Postby Icango560 » October 29th, 2020, 1:52 pm

I replaced the switch at the thruster after a friends boat burned when the contacts melted. The master cut off in the bilge welded itself shut and there was nothing left do do, It might be a good idea to look at the contacts on the switch. Somewhat hard to get to but worth the effort.

Canada
Royb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 530 Voyager

Postby Royb » June 17th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Remove and inspect the contractor at the motor, most of the time one of the contacts weld together and can be pried apart with a screwdriver. This only a temporary fix as once it happens, after separating will happen again. Interference from a remote which is rare could also be a cause.

United States of America
Tbw5959
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2004 466 M/V Salt and Light

Volvo TAMD75's & Kohler 20kW generator

Postby Tbw5959 » September 3rd, 2021, 11:19 am

Cricket,

Did you ever get this sorted out? We just had the exact same thing happen ~during sea trial~ of a prospective 466.... any ideas/insights would be appreciated, Thanks

United States of America
ems05#05
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 466 my
twin volvo tamd75

Postby ems05#05 » September 11th, 2021, 9:30 am

I have a 2004 466,my thruster started on its own. It was the contacts on the dash switch. I pulled the switch and cleaned then sprayed with contact cleaner, been working fine since then.

United States of America
Njlarry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Njlarry » December 1st, 2021, 4:07 pm

Hal? Hal? Open pod bay doors please Hal!
:captain:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”