Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

genset winterization

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

genset winterization

Postby tonyiiiafl » October 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm

What do you think of how I did? I shut off the sea clock for the strainer, then ran fresh water through the strainer and heat exchanger. Next, ran 3 or so gallons of ink through the strainer uniting pink came ou. I did not fog the Honda engine on genset. After I take the 20 mile run u the river to storage, I plan on running the genset again and dumping a couple more gallons of -60 through the strainer, just in case any water got into the exhaust port and settled in the muffler. Sound OK?

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: genset winterization

Postby mjk1040 » October 13th, 2020, 5:51 pm

When on the hard open the seacock back up to let any trapped water out of that side of the strainer and valve, then run another round for safe keeping. I usually shop vac out the strainer with the Sea Flush funnel vac attachment, then I reverse the vac and try to blow what water out I can, then pink stuff application. Otherwise should be good.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » October 13th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Thank you. Maybe overkill but a valuable piece of equipment.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 13th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Tony, do you get hauled out for the winter? If so, why not just wait until you're out and do it then so you're only doing it once.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » October 13th, 2020, 8:12 pm

I do get hauled out. However, no fresh water to flush the heat exchanger. Next year I will just flush the heat exchanger while in the water and pour the pink stuff through when it is hauled. Didn’t think of it until I was done and saw how close the exhaust is to the water line.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 14th, 2020, 7:20 am

While in the water, close the genny seacock and run enough fresh water through the genny until you feel you've you flushed the raw water circuit enough and displaced all the salt water in the muffler. Leave the seacock closed while heading to your final destination. You shouldn't have to worry about salt water getting back into the muffler if it's a lift muffler and plumbed properly. Once hauled out, drain the muffler, test your engine coolant, and run your antifreeze through the genny until the discharge is good and pink. How much antifreeze you use will depend on whether you drain the raw water circuit of the genny or not. Having said that, the amount of raw water in there to be displaced by antifreeze will be minimum. If your engine coolant fails the test, drain the closed cooling system and refill with fresh coolant at the proper mix ratio for your area. Open the seacock after your done, and leave yourself a note to run the genny in the spring not just to commission but to ensure the new coolant ends up at the proper level and that all air in the circuit is displaced.

Are your engines closed cooled too?

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » October 14th, 2020, 7:47 am

Engines and manifolds are closed cooled. I let the marina do those.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”