Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel cap retainer

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Steve2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 41 CMY

Fuel cap retainer

Postby Steve2020 » November 6th, 2020, 10:12 am

I have a 41CMY 2006 the retainer chain for the fuel cap on the mid starboard filler has become disconnected inside, it is still attached to they cap any help on what needs to be removed to reattach would be appreciated. The cap screws into a plate that is attached to the toe rail.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Fuel cap retainer

Postby Midnightsun » November 6th, 2020, 10:43 am

Cut open the hull with a chainsaw just below the filler cap to get easy access. :lol: :-D

Sorry, have no clue. Maybe some extra long, long nose pliers? Or some kind of sturdy metal hook?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 6th, 2020, 4:21 pm

My last boat didn't have any retaining chain, so you had to be careful when pulling the caps off. The prior boat did, and there was a screw that went though the side of the "pipe" on the deck fitting. If you could get to the space under the deck then you could access it. It would certainly be a two person job though, as one would have to put the chain an screw in position from the outside, while the inside person put the nut on.

That was a pretty old boat though, and I'm not sure they'd allow that type of arrangement anymore as there could be a potential leak if that screw/nut was missing. Can you look in the fill pipe and see anything that would look like where it was connected? Is it possible they just had a spring clip in there that held the chain? What do the other fills look like?

Topic author United States of America
Steve2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 41 CMY

Postby Steve2020 » November 6th, 2020, 5:51 pm

The other 3 have thin cable they look like they have been repaired before all of them are a plate the cap goes into it looks like the fuel hose is attached to it,and a plate that plate is mounted I was hoping for some pointers before I started removing plates

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”