Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help! Just purchased a 3607 and am having trouble figuring out what seacocks go where!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
longislandcarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 3607 Carver

Help! Just purchased a 3607 and am having trouble figuring out what seacocks go where!

Postby longislandcarver » November 11th, 2020, 11:12 am

Hi all! We just purchased a 1986 3607 right at then end of the season here in CT. Got a killer deal ($4500) but part of it was I didn't have the opportunity to meet the seller, so didn't get the "here is where everything is" walkthrough and am trying to figure out what lines go where.

I haven't had any luck finding anyone what knows Carvers and can professionally winterize it for me (or show how the process), so I am going to have to give it a shot myself. I've winterized my fair share of houses and RVs and can handle the actual process, the real issue I am running into is figuring out what hoses go to the heads and what hoses go to the AC. On a positive note the prior owner did not fill the freshwater tanks this year so I think I just have to run some RV antifreeze from the shore water connection until it is coming out of all the faucets and I should be good there.

Here are pictures of the seacocks I found, I have no idea what is what, if anyone is able to help me ID them that would be VERY much appreciated as the boat is getting pulled this week and it is going to be cold soon.

Any tips on winterizing and if I need to worry about anything besides the engine/head/ac is very appreciated!

This is directly in front of the port engine:
124199735_10159194841608826_1930665252004728486_n.jpg

This is directly in front of the starboard engine
124617242_10159194841268826_751029008801478648_n.jpg

This is also directly in front of the starboard engine (this one looks promising as it looks like it is designed to hook a hose up to to pump in antifreeze - still can't figure out what it goes to though - turning it off did not seem to effect the head).
124064134_10159194839773826_5653510698873366468_n.jpg

This is directly in front of the stairs as you come down from the deck. The hose appears to come around and enter the junction in the below picture after going through a pump.
124102562_10159194838488826_4284774655837533881_n.jpg

This is what the hose in the picture above appears to go into, I assume it has something to do with the head since it has Jabsco on the handle, but turning it off does not seem to effect the head at all.
125109077_10159194839033826_6337068323100600800_n.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post, seems like a nice group here and I am glad to have joined!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Help! Just purchased a 3607 and am having trouble figuring out what seacocks go where!

Postby tomschauer » November 11th, 2020, 11:39 am

you need to trace them out to be sure but here are some ideas.
First pic is most likely raw water intake for a toilet.
Second pic, if the hose from that seacock goes to the pump with the three pipe manifold, thats your a/c.
Third pic, if thats 1/1/2 inch hose, most likely a raw water to one of the engines with some half assed winterizing valve set up.
fourth and fifth pics are most likely overboard discharge for the head(s).
The black lines in the fourth pic most likely run from the engine to the water heater. If the engines are freshwater cooled these should have antifreeze in them. If they are raw water cooled you need to winterize these also.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Help! Just purchased a 3607 and am having trouble figuring out what seacocks go where!

Postby tomschauer » November 11th, 2020, 11:41 am

Any marine mechanic should be able to winterize the boat. There is nothing there specific to Carver.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 11th, 2020, 11:48 am

Much of the boat is same as rv, just rember outside sinks and transom shower if equipped. Also water heater. Need to make sure all of your seacocks work also.
1st pic looks like water intake for raw water head or raw water washdown. 2nd pic looks like 3/4 hose looks like ac water pump 3rd don't see hull seacock what size is that hose? 1 1/2 would be engine. i would get rid of the gate valve and install a ball valve sometime. 4th pic looks to be overboard discharge for head the last pick is waste selector valve
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2020, 11:51 am

The last two pictures would be your overboard waste discharge for the heads. The last picture is the valve that selects to pump the effluent overboard or into the holding tank. In most places in US waters that needs to be "permanently affixed" in the position that prevents overboard discharge.

The first pic is the pickup for both your heads. It should go to a "T" fitting that splits to go forward and aft, but it looks like you just have a 90 degree elbow there. Do you have two heads? Are they still 'old style' raritan units or perhaps has the aft one been replaced with a more modern one that uses potable water to flush? Where does that loose hose go in the pic?

The second pic is your A/C water supply.

Third pic appears to be the engine cooling water for the starboard engine, but it looks like the seacock is on the wrong side of that "T" fitting so there is no way to shut off incoming water. Need a better pic of that to see what's going on. I'd never leave an open hose barb like that below (or even close to) the waterline, so that should be addressed.

You should also consider replacing all those gate valves. They have a bad history of sticking at the most inopportune time. When replacing them, make sure you do a thorough investigation of the differences between tapered (NPT) and non-tapered (NPS) threads.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post ...
The black lines in the fourth pic most likely run from the engine to the water heater. If the engines are freshwater cooled these should have antifreeze in them. If they are raw water cooled you need to winterize these also.

Yes, that would be where they would be located. They should terminate on the front top of the starboard engine. I used to disconnect these from the engine before winterizine, and blow them out with pressurized air. Then I'd pour a little bit of polyethylene glycol in there and blow that out too, just to make sure I got everything. Just use a spare piece of hose to loop the engine fitting from 'in' to 'out' so you can winterize the engine or continue running it.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 11th, 2020, 12:33 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Any marine mechanic should be able to winterize the boat. There is nothing there specific to Carver.

This...and you don't even need a Marine mechanic. Unless you have some weird stuff going on in your bilge, any savvy boater could show you the ropes and help out.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2020, 1:37 pm

longislandcarver wrote:Source of the post\
This is also directly in front of the starboard engine (this one looks promising as it looks like it is designed to hook a hose up to to pump in antifreeze - still can't figure out what it goes to though - turning it off did not seem to effect the head).
carver_5653510698873366468_n.jpg

Does the boat have a generator?? I'm trying to figure out what that is on the left side of this picture. Could that be part of the generator or the muffler for the generator?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

longislandcarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby longislandcarver » November 12th, 2020, 1:11 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
longislandcarver wrote:Source of the post\
carver_5653510698873366468_n.jpg

Does the boat have a generator?? I'm trying to figure out what that is on the left side of this picture. Could that be part of the generator or the muffler for the generator?

Good eye, yes that is the generator, although it hasn't run in a few years so I am not worried about winterizing it.

longislandcarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby longislandcarver » November 12th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Thank you for the feedback and info everyone, it is all very helpful and makes sense. I made some calls and finally found a local marine mechanic that is going to come winterize everything for me, I'll watch what he is doing so I can hopefully do it next year.

Thanks!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”