Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

stair lift strut/shock

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 445 aft cabin, twin engine diesel

stair lift strut/shock

Postby Polestar » November 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm

We recently bought a Carver 445. A previous owner has removed the gas shock/lift from the stairs that open up to allow entry into the engine room. We are thinking about replacing that to make it easier to open and close the stairs. Can anyone with a 440, 445, or similar size boat with the same type of stairs tell me what size, capacity, specification gas shock would work there. Also, does your boat have only one gas lift or one one both sides of the stairs?

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: stair lift strut/shock

Postby km1125 » November 22nd, 2020, 3:48 pm

You could email Carver too, and they might be able to provide an actual manufacturer and part number.

Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Polestar » November 22nd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Yes, I have already left an email message for Pat at Carver. I hope he will be able to give me some guidance.

I was also hoping that someone could give me some feedback on what they have on board now, in addition to what the original part was, since it is quite likely that the factory installed units have worn out by now and may or may not be available now as replacement parts. Any information about length of the strut and the pound rating would be very helpful. Any improvements to the original system would also be nice to hear. I know that many of you have a talent in improving on the original design at times.

Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Polestar » November 23rd, 2020, 11:02 am

Pat at Carver identified the original configuration as two (2) Attwood SL34-40-1 gas shocks. They have an extended length of 20" and compressed 12" and are rated at 40 pounds. My question now is whether it makes any sense to get that shock but in stainless. How long do you find that the original shocks hold up to the marine environment? Has anyone installed the stainless versions and has experience with how they compare to the originals?

Thanks.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 24th, 2020, 7:07 am

Other than being more esthetically pleasing, I don't find that stainless units maintain their specs any longer than the regular ones except that they'll look nice longer. Sealing surfaces may deteriorate faster in the regular unit but it would have to get pretty bad for that to happen which would likely be many years in a non salt water application. I've had seemingly new stainless units fail too.

Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Polestar » November 24th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Can anyone who has a 440, 445, or similar boat with the steps opening to the engine room confirm for me how many lift springs/struts you have installed there. My build sheet shows a total of three lift springs on the boat, 2 are the ones I identified above and the third one is an Attwood SL25-150# gas spring.

Thanks

Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Polestar » November 25th, 2020, 11:45 am

I'm pretty sure that the gas spring for the stairs/door is the Attwood SL25-150# gas spring, not the 2 Attwood SL34-40-1 gas shocks, based on pictures I have seen on other peoples' boats. The SL34-40 is longer and has a longer "throw" and is longer overall (26 inches versus 20 inches extended). I'm thinking that the smaller ones must go on one of the beds to allow lifting it.

Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Polestar » November 25th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Sorry, the SL 25 is the longer strut.

United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Postby rjr » November 26th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Polestar: There is only one on our boat - on the stairs. I have to get the build sheet. There are no lifts on our beds.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”