Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shift and Throttle Cables Replacement Cost

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Shift and Throttle Cables Replacement Cost

Postby Viper » November 29th, 2020, 10:34 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post If the op would post what kind of boat someone on here may be able to help with access or routing info

The vessel info is in his profile along with the type of engines and drives!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 29th, 2020, 11:15 am

,..... :down:
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » November 30th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Thank you very much everyone for all the responses...This is certainly an amazing and new member friendly forum, for sure! :-D

I'm still waiting to hear from the marina mechanic regarding the condition of the Morse remote controller and the pivot points of the cables. However, I need to clarify some information, which I didn't have at the time, but now I do after talking to the mechanic (by phone, as I live about 2 hours drive each way from the marina and I'm still working at home due to COVID):

- The mechanic said that the amount of hours labour quoted was the "worst case scenario". She said that every boat is different and removing panels to access the cables could be an easy 1 hour job or something much longer. So, as mentioned by Cooler, she was just"aiming high" and it's possible that the labour cost is much lower than quoted.

- Part of the quote also include the lower shift cable replacement in the sterndrives. She's quoting the replacement of the whole kaboodle, which comes in the form of a kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Shift-cable-fits-Alpha-Newer/dp/B001HBX1RA

Considering the prices here in Canada, factoring in currency difference and everything, she's quoting $145 per kit, so not outrageous, in my opinion. Labour charge on this is a bit high, as they need to take the outdrive apart and put it together after replacing all the parts. These are included in the $1860 (including taxes) quote.

Sadly, I'm not much of a DIYer in this department :-( . My maintenance skills end at engine winterising and oil change.

I'll be posting updates.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 30th, 2020, 1:18 pm

That's sounding more reasonable. They won't be taking the sterndrive apart but they will need to remove it to replace the lower cable. Have they actually inspected your transom assembly to check the condition of some of the components such as bellows? When they remove the drive, they'll have the opportunity to inspect other items such as the gimbal bearing, u-joints, etc., so you should be prepared for additional expenses once they dismantle but they should let you know first before throwing more parts at her without telling you first. It's really going to depend on how well she was maintained in the past and conditions the previous owner wouldn't have had any control over. Oh, and there is no such thing as "worst case scenario" with any sterndrive work IMO unless you've already dismantled and know what you're up against. There's just too much that can go wrong, especially if there is even a reasonable amount of corrosion involved.

BTW, that cable kit from Merc is currently $160.82 CND MSRP.

Topic author Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » November 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post ..Oh, and there is no such thing as "worst case scenario" with any sterndrive work IMO unless you've already dismantled and know what you're up against. There's just too much that can go wrong, especially if there is even a reasonable amount of corrosion involved...

Yes, indeed! I'm being optimistic here :-) , but we're talking about a 32 y.o. boat, and like you said, it depends a lot on how well it was maintained in the past. I did mention to the mechanic to take a look at the gimbal bearings and joints once she has access to the area and to let me know if anything else might warrant replacement. She seems very reasonable in terms of letting me know what needs to be done and what doesn't, so we'll see how it all goes.

Thank you for the info about the cable kit...I guess I'm getting a good deal there!

Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Postby PossiblyPaul » December 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm

"Accessibility is everything", to quote Viper above. Trying desperately to access the cables in my bridge station (and the dials, lights and everythine else up there) I gave up this afternoon. I've become convinced that there has been a Conspiracy for a period during our history to prevent owners from reaching and working on parts of their equipment (not limited to boaty things). For many years I used Landrovers in remote parts of the world, on which a difficult change of part was when a hammer, screwdriver, spanner and colourful language wasn't enough - there were few of those situations, as the machinery is largely modular (not that such a concept existed in the days of SI-SIII Landrovers, but the mechanics were simple; it was said, for instance that if you found a fundi under a mango tree with a spanner you could go for a cold beer and on return the problem would be solved). Trying to find the forward end of the pipe supplying my for'ard bilge pump is a carpenting project; trying to extricate the control cables from their stations is one requiring a 3'6" engineer with octopus-like flexibility. I need whisky.
Funga Safari

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 16th, 2020, 3:56 pm

If there isn't a separate panel to access the back of the helm from either behind/front of it or under it in front of where you sit, it's likely that you have to remove a dash panel to get to everything. Some remote controls (throttle/shift levers) are screwed in and some are thru-bolted. If thru-bolted, access the same way as you would the gauges, then pull the remote away from the dash. This will give you access to the cables, neutral safety switches if applicable there, wiring, trim if applicable, etc.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm

While I was visiting London, there was an artist ( contortionist ) who stuffed himself into a 4 cubic foot plexiglax box. That was in the park near The Eye. He was doing this in public for tips. I wondered if he realized he could make $150 an hour as a marine mechanic. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 17th, 2020, 2:43 pm

:worthy: ....
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby uchu » December 18th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update regarding my boat...The weather has been iffy around here the last couple of weeks and the mechanic has not been able to access my boat...Small marina and few mechanics on duty. That plus the approaching Holidays.

Stay tuned.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”