Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

280 sedan/26Command Engine hatch hinges / backseat questions

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

280 sedan/26Command Engine hatch hinges / backseat questions

Postby Phrancus » December 26th, 2020, 4:23 am

If anyone has a picture or two from the engine room hatches insides I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know what kind and how they were attached.

On my boat, the covers are completely loose. So no hinges, rusted twist 'lock'. In the wiring diagrams I found a 'engine room lighting' item. Obivously that's also gone over time.

Currently I have to lift the hatch to the side from the center, it's travel hampered by a seat-hinge-mount thing so have to lift it a bit awkwardly and then balance it in the groove. That of course is not very safe so when I want to get into the engine bay, I put them against the stern in the groove and fix it with a line.

My idea is to use some electric pistons, these are available in many lenghts. But the hinges are a question for the moment. I haven't seen much remnants of them so am curious to know how it was originally.

And how is the bench supposed to be mounted? The current hinges (with a removable pin) are a pain. A hassle to remove the bench (can't open the hatch otherwise) and they're in the way of travel. Where the supporting 'poles' under the seat originally in some kind of receptacle in the hatch? I've got two holes there now. Not pretty.

Thanks in advance
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: 280 sedan/26Command Engine hatch hinges / backseat questions

Postby Phrancus » December 28th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Found some video's on youtube that revealed some variations. As I conclude for the moment, there were two (main) set-ups: without a bench you have (or had the option to add) hinges. And these are nothing complicated: simple from above so the hatches swivel to the sides. Not sure if this was held up somehow.
Or you had the back bench mounted on two forks and standing on two 'tubes'. These forks/hinges prohibit opening to the side so no hinges at all. And the 'tubes' had receptacles on the top layer and perhaps leaned on the lower layer of the hatch.

My idea is to redesign the bench into two parts, mounted differently so that the hatches can open hinged without obstruction.

The hinges will be on top but I don't mind that. It solves a great mechanical challenge to mount them on the inside. I'll add some gas-filled-struts (like in a car). Perhaps even electrifying the whole contraption in due time.

The feet of the bench is missing its receptacles, that's clear now. Probably the same material as was used for the table inside: completely desintegrated and I don't exect to find parts for that here in Europe. But that's another issue altogether.

Also came accross a tiny lock in the latch on the sliding door. I don't have that, will need some kind of locking.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”