Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rear Sliding Cabin Door

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Re: Rear Sliding Cabin Door

Postby tgebler » January 30th, 2021, 11:09 am

My door is different from what you depict in your post.
Helm and cockpit.jpg
This photo shows the door in the lower left and the handle on the outside. There is no handle on the inside just a finger hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

Postby Gag_Halfront » January 30th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Oh! I'm sorry. I misunderstood. That's certainly very different from the glass doors on other models. Hopefully your picture will jog someone's memory who's done one of these before.

United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

Postby thatchh » February 19th, 2021, 5:10 am

I also have the 396 with that door I have not determined a way to remove the rollers. Mine have gotten flat sided, but the door still slides pretty well when I spray it with silicone lube. About once a month keeps it sliding ok. I agree about the handle. You might have to use one that attaches with screws, or one the has the built in bolts and live with nuts on the outside. Maybe you could cover them with rubber caps. This is on my list to address, but it's not near the top yet.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » February 19th, 2021, 9:36 am

Someone susggested a handle which is normally used in the at-home shower which attaches with suction. I have ordered one and will give it a try next week. If it doesn't work, I can always drill a couple of holes and attach a permanent handle. If I go that route, I have decided to take off the outer handle and put the screw heads behind that handle. I will keep everyone posted and include pics of which ever method works best.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » February 24th, 2021, 3:19 pm

I bought and today installed the handle which was recommended by tomschauer. I works very well and I am pleased with this solution. Another plus for the forum.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » February 24th, 2021, 4:39 pm

I have a 355 aft and my door didn't slide well at all. The PO put one of those suction cup shower handles on it, but it would fall off occasionally and was a general PITA after awhile.

I ended up cleaning the upper and lower tracks really well with some old paint brushes, blue shop towels, and degreaser. It was amazing what came out of there. Sand, dirt, old grease, etc... Then I used a product called Slipit. https://www.slipit.com/all-products/sf-sliding-compound/ on the tracks. A liberal dose on the upper and lower really did the trick. Now my kids can open the door easily. Worked well on a couple sticky windows I had also.

United States of America
MichaelOKC
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3467 Santego

Postby MichaelOKC » April 27th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Upon your recommendation, I just ordered a pint of Slipit and should receive delivery in a day or two. Thanks for your advice.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Keeping the tracks clean is key.
You would think (as I did) adding some lubricant will help. It does, for a very short time, then is helps "hold" the dust and dirt in the track and actually makes it worse.
Clean the tracks constantly, both upper and lower, and just use a dry silicone spray.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”