Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Glass Doors

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

Glass Doors

Postby Gag_Halfront » January 28th, 2021, 8:40 pm

I see a lot of people call them sliding doors, but they _usually_ are actually rolling doors. And mine were awful. I didn't see exactly what I was looking for in terms of a "how-to" for fixing them. Maybe it exists and I just missed it. In any event, this is what I did in case it might help someone else in the future. I hope someone finds it useful, and I'm sorry a couple of the photos are sideways, but I can't be bothered to fix them. :-)

First, I was told that I should be able to simply adjust the rollers via the "screw at the bottom". There are two screws at the bottom. One large external and one small internal. The screw in question is the small internal one (See Figure 1 below). Tightening this screw will lower the roller which raises the door on that side. In theory, loosening the screw lowers the door on that side. In my case, none of it seemed to do anything. Time to dig deeper.
IMG_1225.jpeg

Figure 1

Next I had to figure out how to get the doors off. I don't know if it's the best way, but the way that worked for me was to first remove the plastic strip above the doors inside the upper track. There are four screws that hold this strip in place (See Figures 2,3,4,5 below). Once the screws are removed, close the doors and pull the strip out from the side while gently bending it to allow it to stay in line with the upper track (See Figure 6). Note that the strip is not symmetrical. Screw holes are off-center so it can only go in one way. In my case, the port end of the strip was further from the stop block and the starboard end was right up against it (See Figure 7)

IMG_1227.jpeg

Figure 2

IMG_1228.jpeg

Figure 3

IMG_1229.jpeg

Figure 4

IMG_1231.jpeg

Figure 5

IMG_1226.jpeg

Figure 6

IMG_1230.jpeg

Figure 7

Ok. Doors are off. Next is to figure out why they were such a pain to open and close. Let's look into the ends caps (See Figures 8 and 9). In the top, mud wasps. In the bottom, what used to be "rollers" are now "grinders"

IMG_1208.jpeg

Figure 8

IMG_1220.jpeg

Figure 9

This looks really bad. So, cleaning out the mud wasps is easy enough. Scrape, brush, rinse. To get the rollers out, the lower end cap has to come off the door. This is where the larger of the two screws comes in. After removing the two larger screws (the ones above the adjusters) the end cap can be gently tapped away from the glass to remove it (See Figure 10)

IMG_1210.jpeg

Figure 10

In order to remove the rollers, you must first remove two small screws that are revealed after this bottom cap is removed. The screws are located at either end of the top face of the cap where it meets the rubber window seal (See Figure 11). After the screws are removed, use a screwdriver or punch or other similar tool to drive the rollers out the ends of the cap (See Figure 12). As you can see, my rollers were pretty much destroyed by corrosion (See Figures 13,14)

IMG_1216.jpeg

Figure 11

IMG_1222.jpeg

Figure 12

IMG_1224.jpeg

Figure 13

IMG_1223.jpeg

Figure 14

Now it's time to put the new rollers (See Figure 15, 16) back in. In is much easier than out because the roller housings aren't swollen from rust. They should push in easily. Be sure to loosen the adjusters fully to the stops. You may have to tap the center piece of the bracket (that the wheel is held by, and that the adjusting screw threads into) away from the outer face of the roller housing (away from the head of the adjuster screw) and press on the wheel to push it all the up to the top of its adjustment slot. My experience was that tightening the screw applied enough force to pull the center piece in and, therefore, pull the wheel down. The wheel was not willing to retract up without some "encouragement". I think the best way to do this is to set the wheels all the way up, install the rollers, install the doors and then only adjust it down as far as absolutely necessary. At this point, installation is the reverse of removal being careful to install the plastic strip the right way round.

IMG_1204.jpeg

Figure 15

IMG_1214.jpeg

Figure 16
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Glass Doors

Postby g36 » January 28th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Nice work and great info for others with the same setup. Thanks for posting
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 29th, 2021, 9:43 am

Great info and I'm SURE some other folks will appreciate the detail you went into.

Where did you get the replacement rollers? Did you treat them with anything before you installed them? (maybe some T-9?)

Topic author United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

Postby Gag_Halfront » January 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I didn't treat them with anything, but I probably should have. I suspect I won't own this boat long enough to see them fail, but it would be good for the next owner. I didn't want to spray anything too messy because I don't want it to end up on the threshold and get tracked into the boat or onto the cockpit deck.

These were the rollers I bought. It's possible that other similar parts would work. This particular one, the D 1563, had the right dimensions and had the screw holes in the right place so I took a chance and they worked great.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-Adjustable-1-5-in-Aluminum-Sliding-Patio-Door-Roller-Assembly/3042716

United States of America
Speedbump
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Speedbump » May 1st, 2022, 11:27 am

Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time!

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Postby Pura Vida » September 11th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Big thanks for your post and photos with details.
We just finished our door rollers, probably took a little over 2 hours at a slow pace.

We appreciate your detailed descriptions and pictures, it was not only helpful, but gave us the confidence to do the job. I sure was never going to figure out that the key to the removal was that top plastic strip!
Thanks!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”