Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Upper helm floor access

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 33 Aft Cabin

Upper helm floor access

Postby Roddono » February 8th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Does anybody have a recommendation on how to remove the upper helm floor cover on 1991 Carver 33 Flybridge? I am trying to run some new wires from back of instrument panel to arch for a night light. I have included pictures of panel. Thanks in advance.

Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Upper helm floor access

Postby Viper » February 8th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Have you tried using an electrical wire fish? Or, if you see any cut wires under the helm that aren't being used anymore and are heading in the direction you want, you can use them to tape the new wire to then pull the old wire to bring the new one to the same area. I've cleaned up a lot of my wiring from the upper helm and used that method a lot. When you run something through there, attach some good quality twine and run it with the new wire. Leave enough at both ends so that you can attach future wiring to it next time you want to run through there. I use the strapping used for shrink wrapping, works great. I have some going from my engine compartment up to the flybridge bench, from the bench to the helm, and from the bench through the radar arch. Makes future installs way easier.

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » February 8th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Have you tried using an electrical wire fish? Or, if you see any cut wires under the helm that aren't being used anymore and are heading in the direction you want, you can use them to tape the new wire to then pull the old wire to bring the new one to the same area. I've cleaned up a lot of my wiring from the upper helm and used that method a lot. When you run something through there, attach some good quality twine and run it with the new wire. Leave enough at both ends so that you can attach future wiring to it next time you want to run through there. I use the strapping used for shrink wrapping, works great. I have some going from my engine compartment up to the flybridge bench, from the bench to the helm, and from the bench through the radar arch. Makes future installs way easier.

Great idea. I will do that.

Thanks.

Ray...

United States of America
V12diablo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Postby V12diablo » February 8th, 2021, 9:39 pm

I just disassembled my fly bridge on my 356 for transport and it had a similar setup. I had to take out the side panel of the fly bridge (shown in the bottom of your first pic). That allowed me to remove the access panel to the wires and gain access to the run going down into the salon. There was a screw in the front and back of the side panel and then you should be able to pull it out.

Jason

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 9th, 2021, 7:40 am

x2 on leaving a extra string or pull wire for future needs
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » February 9th, 2021, 8:19 am

V12diablo wrote:Source of the post I just disassembled my fly bridge on my 356 for transport and it had a similar setup. I had to take out the side panel of the fly bridge (shown in the bottom of your first pic). That allowed me to remove the access panel to the wires and gain access to the run going down into the salon. There was a screw in the front and back of the side panel and then you should be able to pull it out.

Jason

Awesome.

Thank you

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » February 9th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Can concur that removal of that side panel will reveal a couple screws. I did caulk mine back up when I put it back together to prevent water from getting in. . There is a stunning amount of wire squeezed into that space. I had an engine that wouldn't start and the cause was a connection from the ignition to the engine that was made in that cavity. Pure luck that we found it. Bypassed it and hit the key and it started.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”