Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water in gas tank

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: water in gas tank

Postby Viper » February 11th, 2021, 9:45 am

If you're talking about installing a clear bowl filter assembly like the Racors used in diesel applications, those are not allowed in gasoline inboard and sterndrive applications for safety reasons. An assembly that has a drain plug is good for checking and draining off water that may be in the assembly. As an early warning system for water in the fuel, there are filter assemblies with water sensors that alert the operator when water is present in the filter.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 12th, 2021, 2:18 am

Ah, so there is a difference between inboards and outboards (I found one for outboard use). Outside the vapors would be less of a danger than inside obviously.

More comfortable to have a warning in a dashboard, I don't have that for my diesels so i need to open the hatch and climb in to drain the separators.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 12th, 2021, 9:14 am

If you have Racor filter assemblies which are pretty popular as primary filters, some of their models have ports for installing water sensors. Wiring in a new install for an alarm and warning light at the helm is pretty straight forward.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 12th, 2021, 11:25 am

Good tip, I do have Racor and it has a port to add a heating element. Logically this could be used for a water sensor (don't know about difference in conductivity between diesel and water at this moment).
You don't want to see my racor's at the moment: one lump of bacteria-pulp up to half the glass.... don't dare to push power and thus flow...
I plan to add a Racor so the flow will be: tank - 10 micron racor - 2 micron racor - engine's filter - injector.
Should the 10 micron not get dirty any more ( I will clean the tank of course) than it was not a necessary thing to add but when not it will save the finer filter for clogging up.
With two I might get to adding a water sensor like you mention. A heater is pointless: when it's that cold I will not be going anywhere anyway (my engines are even a variant without pre-heaters (glow things, what's that in english)

However interesting and exciting to get to the job of improving all, at the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the boat will come out of the winter weeks (sudden snow and frost here) afloat and engine(s) startable. The plas was to get her inside in November.... bit of delay and got a surprise pack of snow and -10 C out of the blue.

I did emergency winterize but also the power fell out at the marina (my backup was a small heater) and I fear a water-lock due to the quick anti-freeze procedure I could have done better.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”