Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel pump for Generator

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Fuel pump for Generator

Postby jsurfwhite » February 12th, 2021, 5:08 pm

I have a Kohler 7.3e generator. The fuel pump is badly corroded and needs to be replaced. My manual does not list the part number. My search so far has found Facet 278490. Can someone confirm that number? I have had a few misses on part number cross references that resulted in repair delays and returned parts. Thanks

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Fuel pump for Generator

Postby tomschauer » February 12th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » February 13th, 2021, 10:38 am

278490 is the correct Kohler part number for the pump. It is made by Faucet but be careful to get the correct pump if you get it aftermarket. Faucet makes several versions of that pump that are identical on the outside but have different ratings. Putting in a pump that has 7 psi instead of the 2 psi can cause the carb to run rich and flood.

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Postby jsurfwhite » February 13th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Any tips on the installation? How do I prevent fuel from siphoning from the fuel tank? Thanks.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 13th, 2021, 7:56 pm

You have an anti siphon valve at the tank, you should only lose the fuel in the line.
I would also order the small metal cartridge fuel filter and replace at the same time.
Make sure you connect the power plug correctly. If you reverse the polarity, your pump will run backwards and not pump enough fuel to keep the genny running. Don't ask how i know this!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”