Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Foul smell in salon bar cabinet, in 1999 450 voyager we have sanitized grey water tank and black water tanks

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
SeaMo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 45’ Voyager

Foul smell in salon bar cabinet, in 1999 450 voyager we have sanitized grey water tank and black water tanks

Postby SeaMo » February 13th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Has anyone had a bad odor under their salon bar sink in the cabinet? No smell in the sink. Was told it was the grey water tank but we sanitized that, still has odor Really need help!!

United States of America
Pflat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 450 Voyager with 450;Cummins

Re: Foul smell in salon bar cabinet, in 1999 450 voyager we have sanitized grey water tank and black water tanks

Postby Pflat » February 13th, 2021, 5:25 pm

SeaMo,
I would check the engine room, the guest head vacuum pump is located on the port side. The bellows on the pump on mine split and it took me awhile to figure out where the smell was coming from. You also might have sanitation hoses that have become gas permeable. The hoses run right across the forward bulkhead in the engine room. I’m not sure but the wet bar might be right above that bulkhead.
Good luck,
Pete

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Foul smell in salon bar cabinet, in 1999 450 voyager we have sanitized grey water tank and black water tanks

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2021, 6:25 pm

I agree with Pete, that would have been my first guess too. If there's nothing obvious and there are waste hoses in that area, place a warm wet rag on one of the hoses and let it sit for a while. If the rag smells when you remove it, your hoses are permeated and while there may be some chemicals with appealing claims, the only sure cure is replacing the hoses.

If there is a sink on top of that cabinet, check to make sure nothing is wet in there that might be causing the smell like rotting wood. Can you get into every area of the cabinet's cavity? A dead rodent may be in a hidden spot. Now there's a horrible smell. If you keep using the boat the way you are and the smell gets less intensive then goes away without doing anything, it could very well be something that died and has dried up over time. Morbid but I've ran into that on boats, don't know how they get in though, I suspect engine compartment grills.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”